Summary: Rather than just telling us what we should not do, the Lord here tells us why we should not do the things He forbids.
Pastor Allan Kircher
Shell Point Baptist Church
May 26th, 2013
It’s about time Beware! Caution!
Intro: In our last study, we considered verses 1-2.
• We were told to be “followers of God, as dear children
• We are/imitate God---child imitates/parent.
• love as He loves---walk/He walks;
• Talk as He talks----live/He lives
• We are/mimic/Father in all things
Hard command/follow---we need/strive/this in our day/day lives.
Well, we will consider today, another command.
• V 7 “therefore do not be partners with them.”
• Just as we are/imitate/Lord/every possible way
• We are to avoid imitating/actions/attitudes/ways/world.
This passage will speak to us about what we should not be doing as we live in this world.
• Fall into the same rut in which the world runs.
• go with flow of the world
• Do as/unconverted world around us does.
• Adopt the attitude of Ambrose of Milan when he said
• “When in Rome, do as the Romans do.”
• Many Christians do just that.
• We adopt the ways/world.
• We adopt their fashions/speech/standards/entertainment, and nearly everything else they do.
• All the while, the Lord tells us that we are to be different from them in every way.
2 Cor. 6:17: “Therefore, "Come out from them and be separate, says the Lord. Touch no unclean thing, and I will receive you."
• If we are going to emulate anyone, let it be the Lord.
• If we look/example to follow.
• Look no farther than the Lord God Almighty.
With that in mind, let’s spend some time in these verses today.
I want/preach command “Therefore do not be partners with them.” Notice the challenges laid out in this text.
I. V. 3-4 THERE ARE ACTIONS WE MUST AVOID
In these two verses, at least six sins are named.
• These sins be avoided/people/God.
• These sins marked/world that day/still mark/world today.
• Sin and sinners never change…
• They merely continue down the path of depravity.
• they are led by/spirits/world/flesh/the devil.
First off…Ephesians 2:1-3 says this…..
• The world does what it does/it knows no other way
• It is incapable of changing itself even if it wanted to.
• World doesn’t want to change.
• love of God is selfless, v. 2
• Love/world is selfish/self-centered.
The sins mentioned here prove that/let’s consider these verses.
Sexual immorality - refers to all type of sexual sin.
• includes sex before marriage/adultery
• Homosexuality/lesbianism/sexual lust/pornography
• They should not be part/life of/saint of God.
We/sexual beings/we all face temptations in this area of life.
We must be careful/temptations/not allowed to become a reality.
Impurity - speaks of “corruption and rottenness.”