Summary: We should not be moved by what we see or what we feel, but rather by the God who we know, love, and serve!
1. Satan is the master illusionist!
· Before David Copperfield, before David Blaine, before Criss Angel, there was Lucifer!
· Illusionists major in the art of optical illusion.
· They divert your attention away from what’s really happening, getting you distracted, so they can implement their “smoke and mirrors” tricks and when you look back at what you thought was real, it appears to be something different altogether!
2. Satan’s specialties
· Making something that’s not real appear real!
· Making you think something is there that is not really there!
· Taking a real situation and thru falsehood and deception, making it appear to be something it’s really not.
3. Satan’s appearances
· First appears in the book of Genesis as a serpent,
· By the time we read Peter’s writings, he appears as a roaring lion,
· By the end of the Bible he has become a dragon!
4. How did this happen?
· Lamentations 1:9b - O LORD, behold my affliction: for the enemy hath magnified himself.
· Magnify means to cause to appear greater or seem more important...exaggerate!
5. Satan has no real power over the child of God only false illusions
· The main weapon in the enemy’s arsenal is deception.
· Satan deals in FEAR....False.....Evidence.....Appearing.....Real!
6. The cross has taken the power from Satan
· Colossians 2:15 - And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.
· Romans 6:14 - For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
· DOMINION – to exercise lordship over, to have control over.
· Matthew 6:13 - And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.
7. If we serve God, we have the dominion and power over sin, whether we use it or not!
· Luke 10:19 - Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.
· Satan has no power over us, other than what we grant him!
· He has no authority over us, other than what we surrender to him!
· He has no way to hurt us, or destroy us, but his goal is to make us destroy ourselves!
8. The Enemies Goal
· Make something false seem like something real
· Make you act on a false assumption
· Make you lose your hope
· Make you throw your dreams away
· Make you forget your vision
· Make you doubt God’s promises
· Ultimately destroy your life
A. Jacob In Our Passage
1. Joseph’s brothers had
· Thrown him in a pit
· Sold him into slavery
· Essentially rid themselves of the “problem”
2. But, one problem remains; what are they going to tell their father?
· Notice their tactics
· They dip their brother’s distinctive coat into the blood of an animal
· They bring it back to their dad, and notice what they said:
· “Here is a coat we found, we don’t know if it’s your son’s or not, only you know!”
3. Notice the power of optical illusion
· It is my son’s coat – Recognition
· An evil beast hath devoured him – Explanation
· Joseph is without doubt rent in pieces - Conclusion