Summary: I believe we as individuals need a personal revival – and together as the church we need one! BUT - what IS revival, and how do we get one?
IT’S TIME FOR REVIVAL!
“And to the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write, ’These things says the Amen, the Faithful and True Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God: I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth. Because you say, ’I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing’--and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked.” (Revelation 3:14-17).
I believe we as individuals need a personal revival – and together as the church we need one!
Jesus calls the church to be hot or be cold... it we’re lukewarm, he’ll spit us out of his mouth! Let’s cry out for revival, and be hot for God!
WHAT IS REVIVAL?
• Peter says, "Repent then and turn to God so that your sins may be wiped out and that times of refreshing may come from the Lord." (Acts 3:19). It’s when God refreshes His people.
• “Will You not revive us again, That Your people may rejoice in You?” (Psalm 85:6). It’s when God restores to us the joy of His salvation.
• Revival is experienced when God visits His people to awaken them spiritually.
• Charles Finney describes it as, “Renewed conviction of sin and repentance, followed by an intense desire to live in obedience to God.”
• Malachi 3:7, "Return to Me and I will return to you." God wants revival more than we do!
• REVIVAL DEFINED: Chayah: sustain life, be restored to life or health; to cause to grow; restore.
• The result? A restoration of the power of God to the church, and multitudes saved!
WHAT ARE SOME OF THE SIGNS THAT WE NEED A REVIVAL?
(If any of these describe you... you might be a candidate for revival!)
• When we can go for days without praying or even thinking about praying
• When we have no hunger or passion to read the Bible, and neglect the daily disciplines
• When we don’t get excited about going to church
• When we can engage in sin in our lives without feeling guilty about it
• When we don’t walk in love and acceptance towards others
• When we allow strife, gossip, fighting in our lives
• When we walk in pride, envy, a critical spirit, slander, bad tempers, in our relationships
• When we allow lying, robbing God, cheating and hypocrisy in our lives
• When we are easily offended and refuse to forgive people
• There is no power in the church
It’s time for revival!
CLOSING TEXT: (Jesus gives the answer to the problem)
“I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see. As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent. Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me.” (Revelation 3:18-20).
“Let there be no sexual immorality, impurity, or greed among you. Such sins have no place among God’s people. Obscene stories, foolish talk, and coarse jokes – these are not for you. Instead, let there be thankfulness to God. You can be sure that no immoral, impure, or greedy person will inherit the Kingdom of Christ and of God. For a greedy person is really an idolater who worships the things of this world. Don’t be fooled by those who try to excuse these sins, for the terrible anger of God comes upon all those who disobey him. Don’t participate in the things these people do… Therefore He says: "Awake, you who sleep, Arise from the dead, And Christ will give you light." ” (Ephesians 5:3-7;14).