Summary: A study of the Gospel of John 5: 19 – 29
John 5: 19 – 29
It’s Time to Decide
19 Then Jesus answered and said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, but what He sees the Father do; for whatever He does, the Son also does in like manner. 20 For the Father loves the Son, and shows Him all things that He Himself does; and He will show Him greater works than these, that you may marvel. 21 For as the Father raises the dead and gives life to them, even so the Son gives life to whom He will. 22 For the Father judges no one, but has committed all judgment to the Son, 23 that all should honor the Son just as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him. 24 “Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life. 25 Most assuredly, I say to you, the hour is coming, and now is, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God; and those who hear will live. 26 For as the Father has life in Himself, so He has granted the Son to have life in Himself, 27 and has given Him authority to execute judgment also, because He is the Son of Man. 28 Do not marvel at this; for the hour is coming in which all who are in the graves will hear His voice 29 and come forth—those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation.
I have heard before from some skeptics that The Lord Jesus Christ never claimed to be God. In the beginning of my life as a believer in Jesus Christ they might have confused my thoughts. I know today that many who make this claim have not read the bible. For we are going to see in this study our Lord confirms His equality with our Holy Father God, Adoni Yahweh.
We are going to read and see from our Lord Jesus His statement that He Is co-equal with the Father. He does not want anyone to be in any doubt, but does it in semi-veiled terms comparable with His use of parables. He leaves them to think through the implications. It may be of help if we first summarize what Jesus is about to say, for it will help to bring home just how great a claim He was making. Notice how close the relationship is between Father and Son, and how Jesus links Himself with the Father in the greatest issues of life:
• Verse 19 – He Is The Son and is doing what His Father does.
• Verse 20 - He Is The Son Who Is loved by the Father so that the Father shows Him all that He the Father does.
• Verse 21 - He Is The Son Who like the Father can make alive whoever He wills.
• Verse 22 - He Is The Son to Whom the Father has committed all judgment.
• Verse 23 - He Is The Son Who Is deserving of equal honor with The Father.
• Verses 25 – 26 - He Is The Son Who like the Father has life in Himself, so that as the Son of God He will summon the dead to life at the last day.
• Verse 27 - He Is The Son to Whom the Father has given the authority to exercise judgment because He Is the Son of Man.