Summary: Looking at Jesus call to be the Salt of the earth and the Light of the World. Living out our Faith - by Shining for Jesus.
It’s Time To Shine
Sermon Outline by Pastor Brad Rigney
What are some of the things Jesus’ sermon on the Mount teach us about living for Him?
Vs. 13-16; of Jesus’ sermon teaches us that we are to
others for Christ.
So how do we do this?
We are to be Salt, vs. 13
What is the purpose of Salt?
How is salt used? .
So what did Jesus mean by teaching that we are to Influence others by Being Salt?
We are to be Light, vs. 14-16
1. The Source of this Light, in order to be the Light
2. The Nature of this Light,
- Nature of Function =
- Nature of Brightness =
- We have a function as the Light of the World to
- We also share in a Brightness beyond ourselves.
3. The Place of this Light?
4. The Purpose of this Light, vs. 16
What Time is it?
Is the Light of Christ in YOU? 1John 1:5-7
How can we Influence others for Christ?
Are you Salt to those in your Circle of Influence?
Are you Shining for Jesus?
Are you the Light of Christ to your Circle of Influence?
How can we collectively as a Church body be the Light of Christ to the World?
My Circle of Influence
It’s Time To Shine
A. Eccl. 3 says that there is a Time for everything; to be born, time to die, to plant, to harvest; to weep, to laugh… to keep and to throw away…
Jesus teaches us that it is always time to believe and Live for Him!
Jesus in this Sermon, called the Sermon on the Mount, teaches those who have committed themselves to following Him. He teaches them what it means to follow Him:
- The Beattitudes, how our attitude should be.5:1-12
- A heart commitment, not just a legalistic act of obedience, 5:17-46
- How to Pray, 6:5-13
- Not to worry but make it your priority to Trust and Seek the Lord in all things. God will provide.6:19-33
- About Judging others instead of yourself.7:1-8
- Watching out for False Teachers 7:13-23
- And not just saying you trust in the Lord but actually putting into practice His Words. 7:24-27
B. Yet, part of this great Sermon of Jesus teaches us How we are to INFUENCE Others for Christ.
READ VS. 13-16
C. What do we learn about Living as a Disciple of Christ by Influencing Others?
A. We are to be Salt, vs. 13
- What purpose of Salt? It seasons, Perseveres – and it makes you Thirsty.
- How is salt used? By being placed directly on the meat.
- So what did Jesus mean by teaching that we are to Influence others by Being Salt?
* We need to be in direct contact, relationship with people who need to know Jesus in order to be effective.
* Our lives should make others Thirsty for God; it ought to add flavor to their lives as we share the love of God with them and our influence is about persevering life – eternal life through Jesus.
B. We are to be Light:
5. The Source of this Light, in order to be the Light
John 8:12; “… Jesus spoke… I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but will have the light of life.”
So even though Jesus teaches that we are the Light of the World, vs. 14a We are only the Light as He, Himself is the Light within us!
We are really Reflections of the Light!
6. The Nature of this Light,
- Nature of Function = Dispels the Darkness, reveals, guides, is meant to be seen.
- Nature of Brightness = the passage shares two aspects regarding the brightness of light. The Single light that lights a House, vs. 15b Also the light of a city that cannot be hidden.
- We have a function as the Light of the World – to dispel darkness, reveal truth, guide people to Jesus.
- We also share in a Brightness beyond ourselves. As an individual we bring Light to our homes and families – but collectively, we are as bright as a City that cannot be Hidden. This is the Light of the Church.
7. The Place of this Light – This passage teaches us the places that the Light needs to shine: Vs. 14 – The World, A city on a hill; vs. 15 a house - everyone, vs. 16 before Men
We as the Light are not just meant to Shine within the walls of the Church facility – we are mean to Shine in our Homes, in our Cities, in our World to everyone, to all people!