Summary: God's nature revealed in Exodus 15:26, Jesus' ministry of healing all, and an abundance of promises in the Word of God combine to convince that it's God's will to heal us physically. He is Jehovah-Rapha, the Lord our Physician!
1. Ms. Smith was assigned to be a monitor on the playground and caught little Johnny making ugly faces and scaring other kids.
2. Smiling sweetly, she said, “Johnny, when I was a child I was told that if I made ugly faces, it would freeze and I would stay like that.”
3. Johnny looked up and replied, “Well, Ms. Smith, you can’t say you weren’t warned!”
22 So Moses brought Israel from the Red Sea; then they went out into the Wilderness of Shur. And they went three days in the wilderness and found no water. 23 Now when they came to Marah, they could not drink the waters of Marah, for they were bitter. Therefore the name of it was called Marah. 24 And the people complained against Moses, saying, “What shall we drink?” 25 So he cried out to the Lord, and the Lord showed him a tree. When he cast it into the waters, the waters were made sweet. There He made a statute and an ordinance for them, and there He tested them, 26 and said, “If you diligently heed the voice of the Lord your God and do what is right in His sight, give ear to His commandments and keep all His statutes, I will put none of the diseases on you which I have brought on the Egyptians. For I am the Lord who heals you.” NKJV
1. We’re looking tonight at one of the most important passages in Scripture for it is the fountainhead revelation of one of the greatest aspects of God’s nature.
2. Let’s look at what happened to the Israelites and how God used it to give a new revelation to the people of God about who He is.
3. The title of this message is “Jehovah Rapha.”
I. CHRISTIANS WILL HAVE PROBLEMS
A. A GLORIOUS DELIVERANCE
1. They had just come out of Egypt (representing salvation) and passed through the Red Sea (representing baptism, 1 Cor. 10:2).
2. They then traveled for three long, hot days without a drop of water to quench the thirst of approximately 2 1/2 million people! They needed a Lake Conroe just to give everybody enough to drink!
3. When they finally came to a place that had some water, the waters were bitter, brackish (salty) water. It couldn’t be drunk. They would soon die without water.
4. Their throats were dry and parched already. Fear gripped them. “The people murmured against Moses.” “Pastor Moses messed up! He’s led us the wrong direction!”
5. 3 days before, they’d seen the Lord deliver them from generations of slavery, make an impossible escape for them through an ocean, and then utterly defeat their enemies. They’d sung and danced with Miriam on the beach.
6. They wondered – “Can it get any better than this? Glory to God!” But three days later in the wilderness, without water, they were wondering what had happened!
7. When we get saved, we think everyone around us will be as excited as we are about it. But things often turn out different than we think they will.
8. HUMOR: EXERCISE CLASS
a. Like the 65 year-old lady who decided to join an exercise class, and told her daughter Lisa.
b. Lisa said, "That was brave of you, mom! So how did it go?" asks Lisa.