Jesus Declares His Mission Series
Contributed by Dr. Jonathan Vorce on Sep 21, 2018 (message contributor)
Summary: Last week we began our series on “Red Letters.” We explored the Gospels in short detail. Today we will focus on the Declared Mission of Jesus and the continuing fulfillment of that mission today through the Church!
Last week we began our series on “Red Letters.” We explored the Gospels in short detail. Today we will focus on the Declared Mission of Jesus and the continuing fulfillment of that mission today through the Church!
I. THE MISSION OF JESUS - THE DRIVING FORCE OF THE GOSPEL - LUKE 4:18-19
Jesus went on to fulfill His mission during His earthly ministry and He continues fulfilling His mission through us today.
A. Preach the Gospel to the Poor
1. The Gospel to the poor is that God Loves poor people and will help take care of you if you let Him!
2. This is Outreach, Missions, Declarations of God’s Love, FOCUSING ON NUMBERS (a number represents a soul)
Proverbs 19:17 Whoever is kind to the poor lends to the LORD, and he will reward them for what they have done.
B. Heal the Brokenhearted
1. Ministering Hope to the hopeless and Life to the lifeless
2. Life happens, Life can be shattering… Jesus can put you back together again!
Psalms 147:3 He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.
C. Preach Deliverance to the Captives
1. No one starts out trying to be an addict…
2. There are many kinds of bondage. Bondage to drugs, alcohol, promiscuity are the things that come into our minds first.
• What about pride, the past, a failing idea, a failure or negative thoughts?
Psalms 107:14 He brought them out of darkness and the shadow of death, and brake their bands in sunder.
D. Recovering of Sight to the Blind
1. I’m sure this refers primarily to physical
2. However, many were blinded by the Law and could not recognize the Messiah when they “saw” Him!
Luke 4:20-21 And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him. 21 And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.
Luke 24:31 And their eyes were opened, and they recognized him. And he vanished from their sight.
Luke 24:45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
E. Set at Liberty them that are Bruised.
1. Do you feel beaten, shattered and torn?
2. I can say from experience… Jesus can help you heal from the pain…
3. Jesus can relate to your pain.
Isaiah 53:3-4 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not. 4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.
F. Preach the Acceptable Year of the Lord
1. The time is NOW… You don’t have to wait another minute. Jesus will help you RIGHT NOW!
Matthew 4:17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
II. THE MISSION OF JESUS IS STILL BEING FULFILLED TODAY BY JESUS THROUGH HIS BODY… THE CHURCH!
In 1939 Smith Wigglesworth prophesied of coming revivals while he was prophesying over Lester Sumrall. Here is what he said in a nutshell.
• Healing Revival - Fulfilled through people like AA Allen, Oral Roberts, Jack Coe etc. (40’s - 50’s)
• Charismatic Revival - Fulfilled: The Church moves away from Legalism and embraces a more modern style of worship. (60’s-70’s)
• Word of Faith Revival - Fulfilled: The Church begins to focus heavily on the teaching of the Word of God. (80’s-90’s)
• The Greatest Revival Beginning to be Fulfilled: The Gifts of the Spirit will be poured out. (We are in the beginning few years of this revival right now)
A. It is being done through the Global Declaration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ!
1. Massive moves of God are beginning to take place all over the world!
2. The Love of God is being proclaimed and the power of God is being demonstrated as people accept Jesus into their hearts!
B. It is being done through the Demonstration of the Spirit and of Power.
Do a Short Expose’ of the Nine Gifts of the Spirit
1. 12:4-7 There are Gifts, Administrations, Operations and Manifestations of the Spirit.
2. 12: 8-10 The nine gifts of the Spirit can be divided into three categories.
• Revelation Gifts - the word of wisdom, the word of knowledge, and discerning of spirits.
• Vocal Gifts - tongues, interpretation of tongues, and prophecy.
• Power Gifts - faith, healings, and the working of miracles.
C. There is a stirring in the earth today as Global Revival & World Events point us to the coming of the Lord!