Summary: Series of messages on the Eight sign Miracles in the Gospel of John. John recorded these so people would believe that Jesus was, indeed the Messiah with power over nature, sickness and death. (see John 20:30-31) #1 is Jesus First Miracle at Cana
SERIES: Miracles with a Message #1
TITLE: Jesus First Miracle
TEXT: John 2:1-11
INTRO Jesus did many miracles, but John chose seven miracles to include in his Gospel. He called them “signs” because they demonstrate Jesus nature & His divine power.
At the end of his Gospel, John wrote:
And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book: But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name. (Joh 20:30-31)
Jesus first miracle took place at a wedding in Cana in Galilee.
He began His earthly ministry at a wedding feast, and someday He will take us to the wedding feast of the Lamb.
I. MARY’S REQUEST (vs.1-3a)
A. There Was a Problem at the Wedding Feast
1. Jewish wedding feasts lasted for 7 or 8 days
2. They had run out of wine at the feast
3. Mary took the problem to Jesus
4. We should always take our problems to Jesus
B. Life is Full of Problems
1. They come when we least expect them
2. What we do when confronted with a problem reveals
how much we trust the Lord!
# "Oh what peace we often forfeit,
Oh what needless pain we bear,
When we do not carry,
everything to God in prayer."
II. JESUS RESPONSE (vs.3b-5)
A. May Seem Surprising
1. He replied, "...Woman, what have I to do with thee?
mine hour is not yet come." (v.4)
2. He was not ready to begin his public ministry, yet.
B. But Mary Was Not Discouraged
1. She believed Jesus could do anything
2. She told the servants:
"...Whatsoever he saith unto you, do it." (v.5)
3. No point in asking God for help unless you are willing to
do what He tells you to do
III. THE RESULTS OF THE MIRACLE (v.6-11)
A. Look at What Jesus Did
1. There were six stone water pots that held 30 gallons
each, which equals 180 gallons.
2. Jesus told the servants to fill them with water, then
draw out & take it to the master of the feast
3. The master of the feast was amazed (v.10).
B. God Saves the Best to the Last
1. That’s not how the devil does it. He deceives people
into thinking what he has for them is good
2. But it all ends with pain, heartache, despair and eternity
3. Jesus takes the worst and transforms it into good
# (Adrian Rogers) “The same Jesus Who turned water into wine can transform your home, your life, your family, and your future. He is still in the miracle-working business, and His business is the business of transformation.”
C. What This Sign Reveals About Jesus
1. That He cares about the smallest details of your life.
2. He has the power to do what is necessary.
CONCL: What is your need today?
Do you need to trust Jesus to save you?
Are you out of God’s will for your life?
Do you have a burden that you can’t bear alone?
# “Tempted and tried I need a great Savior,
One who can help my burdens to bear;
I must tell Jesus, I must tell Jesus;
He all my cares and sorrows will share”