Summary: The two disciples walking on the Road to Emmaus that first Easter had experienced devastation; their faith had been shattered. They had no idea that their walk to Emmaus would end up becoming a walk of faith.
1. Death was handled differently in the ancient world…
An archaeologist was digging in the Negev Desert in Israel and came upon a casket containing a mummy. After examining it, he called the curator of a prestigious natural history museum.
"I've just discovered a 3,000 yearend mummy of a man who died of heart failure!" the excited scientist exclaimed.
To which the curator replied, "Bring him in. We'll check it out."
A week later, the amazed curator called the archaeologist. "You were right
about the mummy's age and cause of death. How in the world did you know?"
"Easy. There was a piece of paper in his hand that said, '10,000 Shekels on Goliath'."
[harry leichter’s clean jewish joke site]
2. When Jesus died, they began the Jewish burial procedure, but had to stop because the Sabbath Day was about to begin at Sunset.
3. We usually focus on what happened early Sunday morning, but today I would like to focus on what happened a few hours later, Jesus’ appearance to the two disciples walking the Emmaus road.
3. Jesus’ followers, fluent as they were with the First Testament, should have realized that the Messiah would rise from the dead.
Main: The two disciples walking on the Road to Emmaus that first Easter had experienced devastation; their faith had been shattered. They had no idea that their walk to Emmaus would end up becoming a walk of faith.
I. Jesus INFLITRATED to Develop the Right Kind of Faith (13-24)
A. He could have revealed himself IMMEDIATELY
1. Like Joseph with his brothers, he drags things out. Why?
2. He wanted them to first expect a resurrection on the basis of Scripture.
B. He wanted them to understand what the MESSIAH was supposed to do
1. The First Testament spells out that Messiah would die and live again
2. The First Testament spells out that Messiah will deliver Israel and sit upon the throne of David and rule the world from Jerusalem…
3. But the cross comes before the crown…
C. They meet Jesus INCOGNITO (13-16)
D. Jesus listens to their UNDERSTANDING (17-25)
Part of teaching is patience, and it is the hard part… like when someone tells you a joke and you the punch line, but you politely laugh… Listening to people recite truths you yourself have taught is a part of instructing…
Have you ever taken a walk with Jesus? Gotten right with God through Him?
II. Jesus CORRECTED Them with the Scriptures (25-27)
A. The right kind of faith is a SCRIPTURAL faith
• We are living in an age when evangelical Christians are following other forms of Christianity; trading a militant Bible-only faith for religion
B. He holds them ACCOUNTABLE to understand (25)
We tend to say that some portions of Scripture are difficult to interpret, but the problem is not the Word of God, it is us. Jesus constantly lays the blame on our blindness, our hardness of heart…
C. The Messiah HAD to suffer (26)
3. The reason for which Jesus came
4. Also that he had to be resurrected on the 3rd day…