Summary: Jesus is passing by. You are near to a miracle! It doesn’t happen every day. It’s a special, divine moment. Will you avail yourself of it?
JESUS IS PASSING BY!
A. HUMOR: LOOKS MAY NOT BE DECEIVING
1. For the first time in his life, Sam received a letter telling him he is being called for Jury Duty. On the appointed day, he joined many other prospective jurors in court for the official swearing in process.
2. When his turn arrived, Sam said to the judge, "I think it best you send me home, Mr. Judge. I'll be of no use to you." "Please explain why you want me to excuse you from Jury Service, Mr. Jones." asked the judge.
3. "Because I'm a very biased, that's why," replied Sam. "I've always been a biased person." "Give me an example," said the judge.
4. "Well," replied Sam, "I'm looking at the prisoner right now and I can say, without a shadow of doubt, that from the way he looks, he's absolutely, definitely guilty."
5. "Mr. Jones," said the judge, "the prisoner is not yet in court. The man you're looking at is the prisoner's lawyer!"
35 As Jesus approached Jericho, a blind man was sitting by the roadside begging. 36 When he heard the crowd going by, he asked what was happening. 37 They told him, “Jesus of Nazareth is passing by.” 38 He called out, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!” 39 Those who led the way rebuked him and told him to be quiet, but he shouted all the more, “Son of David, have mercy on me!” 40 Jesus stopped and ordered the man to be brought to him. When he came near, Jesus asked him, 41 “What do you want me to do for you?” “Lord, I want to see,” he replied. 42 Jesus said to him, “Receive your sight; your faith has healed you.” 43 Immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus, praising God. When all the people saw it, they also praised God.
1. Tonight we’re looking at a moment when Jesus was walking by a man. All things were possible. Would he avail himself of those possibilities or not?
2. We’re going to look at the level of our desire for Jesus, the difference Jesus’ presence can make, and how we are to claim the miracles we need.
3. The title of tonight’s message is, “Jesus is Passing By.”
I. ARE WE ANXIOUS TO KNOW JESUS?
A. DESIRE TO SEE THE SAVIOR
1. When Jesus of Nazareth passed by, how quickly the inhabitants of Judah/ Israel would jump up and travel to wherever Jesus was! There was great curiosity to see Him, eagerness to get close enough to hear Him, to see His face.
2. There was also intense anxiety in some people who wanted to take their sick and diseased friends to be healed! They’d stop their farming, drop their vacations, and cease their pleasures, to feast their eyes and ears on Jesus and hear His voice.
3. Are you & I as anxious to see Jesus? Some are, but others are unconcerned, as though their sins were of no concern, and their souls in no immediate peril!
B. ARE YOU READY FOR ETERNITY?
1. A car wreak may prove fatal; a slight illness may turn deadly(be a superbug); can you imagine how terrible it would be to wake up in hell and know that you’d listened to the Gospel that could’ve saved you, but never embraced it?