Summary: #2 of 4 Thanks to the Passion Sermon pack from Sermon Central for the inspiration for this series
• Last week I started us out on the first of a four-part series on Jesus. Last week we looked at whether or not Jesus is the Son of God. The answer to that is a resounding YES.
• It is one thing to admit that Jesus is indeed the Son of God, but since that is true, what are some of the implications of that? We are going to spend some time today looking at one of the implications of Jesus being God.
• Jesus taught many things that go against the flow of society. Things like turning the other cheek, treating your enemies in a good way, putting others first.
• In our society one of the most controversial statements Jesus made is found in John 14:6.
• In John 14:6 Jesus said, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.”
• The thing we do not like about this statement is the fact that Jesus is making an ABSOLUTE statement; He is stating an ABSOLUTE truth.
• Is Jesus the only way or path to God? Is He the only truth? Is He the only way to eternal life?
• The answer to the question, “Is Jesus the only way to God”, will more difficult for people to swallow than acknowledging the fact that Jesus is God.
• In our society we do not like to be told there are absolute truths. We are accustomed to saying that what is true for you is not necessarily true for me. We do not like someone confronting us with truth because we like to try to make up our own. We like to think we can all blaze our own path to heaven that we can make up the rules as we go!
• As author Lee Strobel states concerning Jesus’ claim in John 14:6, “So why is this statement so controversial? One Reason is that it strikes at the core of three great myths about religion.” (Passion Sermon, Jesus is the Son of God. True or False?)
• Going back to the movie, The Passion of The Christ, it has to make one wonder why did that ever have to happen? Why did God allow His Son to suffer like that? Why did Jesus allow that to happen?
• Today we are going to examine the three great myths about religion that Jesus statement contradicts. As we see the contradictions, it will become evident that Jesus is the only way to God!
• JOHN 14:6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.
I. MYTH ONE- ALL RELIGIONS ARE THE SAME- I AM THE WAY
• Have you ever heard people say that all religions are the same? Have you heard people say that ultimately all religions lead to the same place?
• This sounds very nice and inclusive doesn’t it. I mean who wants to tell their friendly Mormon or Muslim that their religion will profit them nothing? Don’t all religions teach more or less the same thing?
• It is true there are some similarities in morality that are taught. When you see the commercials the Mormons have or when you see those nice young men on bikes peddling to your home, are they not on equal standing with God as those “Christians”?
• If all the spiritual paths lead to the same end, what does it matter which one you follow? I have a friend of mine whose son left his Christian faith to marry a Jewish girl. Aren’t Judaism and Christianity the same?