Summary: As we close this series out today, we will see why we can say Jesus is The Way To Eternal Life. In this message, we will be considering those passages which use the expression "eternal life" to mean a future hope which will be realized after this life o
Jesus - The Way To Eternal Life
TEXT: John 14:1-7
INTRODUCTION: Over the past number of weeks, we have considered how Jesus is truly The Way to all good things: He is The Way to a better life (by correcting misconceptions and teaching us to seek new goals); He is the Way to forgiveness of sins (by offering Himself as a propitiation, or sacrifice, for our sins); He is the Way to God (by helping us first to comprehend God, then to be able to approach Him in a close, personal relationship); He is the Way out of religious confusion (through His own example, and by guiding us through His apostles’ doctrine).
As we close this series out today, we will see why we can say Jesus is The Way To Eternal Life. In this message, we will be considering those passages which use the expression "eternal life" to mean a future hope which will be realized after this life on earth is complete. In the writings of John, the expression "eternal life" is often used differently. John often used the words eternal life and abundant life interchangeably to stress a new relationship with God and Jesus. He also revealed it as a present possession of all those who have come to know them - John quoting Jesus in Jn 17:3 - "Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent." I Jn 5:13,20 - "I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life....We know also that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true. And we are in him who is true--even in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life."
I. WHY JESUS IS THE WAY TO ETERNAL LIFE
A. HE HAS PREPARED A PLACE FOR US...
- He told His disciples the night before His crucifixion "I am going there to prepare a place for you." - Jn 14:2
B. HE WILL COME AND RECEIVE US TO HIMSELF...
1. Jesus told His disciples - Jn 14:3 - "And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am."
2. Paul wrote of this wonderful event in I Th 4:15-17 - "According to the Lord’s own word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left till the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever."
C. HE WILL JUDGE AS TO WHO WILL ENTER LIFE ETERNAL...
1. As depicted in the final judgment scene - Mt 25:31,41 - "When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory....Then he will say to those on his left, Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels."
2. As described by Paul - II Co 5:10 - "For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad."