Summary: Jesus as creator has made two very grand things that we prize, the Earth and the Church. Now he is working on the ultimate prize, Heaven.
Jesus–No Ordinary Carpenter
I. Largest building in the U.S. is the Sears Tower in Chicago
A. Sears Tower is 110 stories and 1,454 feet high.
B. Contains 4.5 million square feet of floor space
C. Took three years to build at a cost of over $150 million.
D. Contains 43,000 miles of telephone cable, 2,000 miles of electrical wire.
E. 76,000 tons of steel, 16,000 bronze tinted windows.
F. 28 Acres of black aluminum skin and 25,000 miles of plumbing.
G. It contains enough concrete to build an eight land highway five miles long.
H. It weighs 222,500 tons.
I. Contains 2,232 steps from the ground floor to the roof
J. Is so tall that it can bee seen over 40 miles away.
II. Yes, the Sears Tower is an amazing building, but greater things have been built.
A. Even on earth there is another building larger than the Sears Tower.
B. Today I want to talk to you about three amazing things, two of which are already built and one which is still in progress, that are far grater than these. The most amazing thing about these three projects is that the architect and builder of all of these projects is the same man.
I. No Ordinary Earth
A. Jesus the Creator
1. Col. 1:16 “By Him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible,. . . all things were created by Him and for Him.”
2. Heb. 1:2 “but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the universe.”
B. Glory of the Earth
1. Natural Wonders
2. Human Body
a. The “miracle” of Birth.
b. The complexity of the Body.
C. The Earth and everything in it was created in six days!
1. Literal twenty–four hour days.
a. Gen 1:5, 8, 13, 19, 23, 31
b. “And there was evening and there was morning–the first day”
D. If Jesus had stopped being a carpenter at this point nothing would ever even come close to matching his skill as a master builder. Truly Jesus is no ordinary carpenter!
II. No Ordinary Church
A. But Jesus didn’t hang up his tool belt after creating the earth.
B. Romans 5:12 “Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all men, because all sinned.”
1. As sin entered the world, God’s creation was condemned to death.
2. Yet God in all his planning for the creation had already planned for this as well.
C. The answer to our problem was Christ building His church.
1. Hebrews 8:8–12 - The reason for Christ building His church.
2. Hebrews 8:27–28 - How Christ built His church.
D. The Church was built in three days!
1. His death–Friday.
2. In the tomb–Saturday.
3. His resurrection–Sunday.
E. The Church is built upon one very important fact.
1. That Jesus is the Christ the Son of God
a. Matt. 16:13–18 - The church would be built on faith in Christ.
b. Romans 3:21–26 - Faith in Christ justifies.
2. Jesus proved he was the Son of God by overcoming death!
F. Jesus will soon present his church to God to live with him eternally.
1. There is no other way to get to heaven.
a. 1 Cor. 3:11 “For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ.”