Summary: Discover the 17 passages in the Gospels that reveal Jesus’ prayer life as well as why, where and when we should follow Jesus’ teaching about prayer and praying.
The Prayer Life of Christ…
Rev. Bruce A. Shields DD
House of Faith Ministries
401 East Franklin
East Tawas, MI. 48730
There are approximately 17 references in the Gospels to Jesus and His prayer life. He is showing us in the scriptures just how important communication with the Father really is.
• He prayed often, He prayed early in the morning, late at night, all through the night.
• He prayed before critical events in His life.
• He prayed as He ministered to others.
• He prayed before His miracles.
• And He prayed for others.
If communicating with the Father was that important to Jesus, shouldn’t it be a priority for us?
When did Jesus Pray:
Early in the Morning (KJV Mark 1:35)
35. And in the morning, rising up a great while before day, he went out, and departed into a solitary place, and there prayed.
Late at Night (KJV Luke 6:12)
12. And it came to pass in those days, that he went out into a mountain to pray, and continued all night in prayer to God.
Often (KJV Luke 5:16)
16. And he withdrew himself into the wilderness, and prayed.
Naturally (KJV Luke 22:39, 40)
39. And he came out, and went, as he was wont, to the mount of Olives; and his disciples also followed him. 40. And when he was at the place, he said unto them, Pray that ye enter not into temptation.
At critical moments in your life, what do you do? Jesus prayed! From the beginning of His public ministry to the end, Jesus prayed at every critical moment of His life.
Jesus prayed at the beginning of His ministry. . .
(KJV Luke 3:21-22)
21. Now when all the people were baptized, it came to pass, that Jesus also being baptized, and praying, the heaven was opened, 22. And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased.
Jesus prayed before He chose the men who would carry on His ministry after his death. . .
(KJV Luke 6:12-13)
12. And it came to pass in those days, that he went out into a mountain to pray, and continued all night in prayer to God. 13. And when it was day, he called unto him his disciples: and of them he chose twelve, whom also he named apostles;
Jesus prayed before the confession that He was the Christ. . .
(KJV Luke 9:18-20)
18. And it came to pass, as he was alone praying, his disciples were with him: and he asked them, saying, Whom say the people that I am? 19. They answering said, John the Baptist; but some say, Elias; and others say, that one of the old prophets is risen again. 20. He said unto them, But whom say ye that I am? Peter answering said, The Christ of God.
Jesus prayed before His Transfiguration . . .
(KJV Luke 9:28-29)
28. And it came to pass about an eight days after these sayings, he took Peter and John and James, and went up into a mountain to pray. 29. And as he prayed, the fashion of his countenance was altered, and his raiment was white and glistering.
Jesus prayed before the cross . . .
(KJV Luke 22:39-42)
39. And he came out, and went, as he was wont, to the mount of Olives; and his disciples also followed him. 40. And when he was at the place, he said unto them, Pray that ye enter not into temptation. 41. And he was withdrawn from them about a stone’s cast, and kneeled down, and prayed, 42. Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.