Summary: This sermon takes the three promises of Jesus in Acts 1 and focuses on the fact that we can Rely on His Promise to REturn. We can be assured that Jesus will come back Personally, Visibly and Suddenly!
Jesus Promises: I will be Back
A. There are some passages in Scripture that as you read them and study them, you really wish you could have been there personally! I would have loved to been there to witness Jesus’ Baptism when God spoke in an audible voice saying this is my Son, whom I love and am well please with (Mt. 4); or the time that Peter went out to Jesus walking on the Water; or even the Last Supper – WOW. Think about it. What that would have been like – or the time when Doubting Thomas met the Resurrected Jesus personally and saw the places where He was pierced and nailed to the Cross.
1. Setting vs. 1-5; Luke reminds Theophilus about his former book – The Gospel of Luke that was about:
the things Jesus began to do
the things Jesus taught.
And He is gave these instructions through the HS.
Vs. 3 – After his suffering (Death on the Cross)
- He showed himself to these men (Apostles) and gave many convincing proofs that he was alive. His Rez.
Vs. 4 – On one occasion he told them to wait in Jerusalem for the gift promised by the Father.
Vs. 5 – As John baptized with water – in a few days you will be baptized with the HS.
2. Now, vs. 6-7
- Vs. 6, they ask Jesus, “Lord, are you at this time going to restore the Kingdom to Israel?” They still didn’t completely understand, even after all that Jesus did, taught, and after His death and Rez. They thought Jesus came to be a political savior.
- Vs. 7, Jesus responds, “It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by His own authority.” I.E. The Kingdom will be established but it is not through Israel and you do not when it is going to happen.
3. Jesus’ final time with the Disciples, vs. 8-11
- Vs. 8; Jesus teaches them further about the Holy Spirit going to be sent to them and that they would be empowered to be Witnesses in Jerusalem, Judea, and Samaria and to the ends of the earth.
- Vs. 9-11; Jesus ascends into heaven.
• After He – Jesus said this
• He was taken up before their very eyes.
• A cloud hid him from their sight
• Vs. 10; They were looking intently up into the sky as he was going
• When suddenly two men dressed in white stood beside them (Angels).
• Vs. 11 – the Angels said: “Men of Galilee – why do you stand here looking into the sky?
• This same Jesus
• Who has been taken from you into heaven,
• Will come back
• In the same way you have seen him go into heaven.
C. Can you imagine what that must have been like? You are there with Jesus – He is teaching you after His Rez. about the coming of the HS and repeating His call to them be Witnesses (sharing who He is and what He has done for all people) to those in Jerusalem, Judea, and Samaria and to the entire world.
You are there – it is a beautiful day – you are with the Rez. Lord, Jesus – He is teaching you and then Suddenly…