Summary: There is only one way that one can be justified, and that is through the resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ (through faith in Christ), not by our works.
3-16-08 Sermon Justification by Faith
Lets go back a couple of Sundays and use our reminiscence to
recall past events
1. Sun Mar 2nd Lesson Power of the Gospel
- Paul writes his letter to this new church (in ROME!)
- Romans 1:8 “For I thank my God through Jesus Christ for you all, that your faith is spoken of thorough out the whole world.”
What did this church have that the others didn’t?
I must needs see Caesar (Paul’s landmark of his ministry)
- Acts 25:10 Then said Paul, I stand at Caesar’s judgment seat, where I ought to be judged: to the Jews I have done no wrong, as you very well know.?
- where he soon after lost his head at Nero’s chop block to a sword
Every Christian will have their Caesar or Golilaths
We all have a destined purpose for our lives
- our purpose is being a Christian (yes)
- but even, more than that, our purpose: to take the gospel even further
- someone we have to stand before (our own Caesar)
Who will be the last person I will be sent to minister to?
There will be a last person to witness to A last sermon to preach
- who could that be to?
- a last sermon to be preached
2. I recall Sun March 9th, Lesson “Need for the Gospel”
- good news deliverance from the wrath of God Rom 1:18
- The gospel reveals that the only way to have
- a right relationship with God
- is through faith in Christ
- for all have sinned and came short of the glory of God.
3. And today “JUSTIFICATION BY FAITH”
this statement is second only to the resurrection of Christ Jesus
- any good named person could have been born
- any good named person could have died for us (even in war)
- only one laid his life down (freely, no man took it)
- only one had the power to raise it back up again
1st most powerful word is resurrection
2nd most powerful word is this word Justification
- there is not a more powerful word in the Word of God
- justification: as if you had never sinned
The atonement blood: Accepting it by faith is our justification
“Him that justifies the ungodly” Rom 4:5
Abraham was hand picked out of an ungodly nation:
- A nation that was judged at the tower of Babel
- all men were warped and vile
- the destruction of the tower of Babel
- was a judgment for their continuous sinning
- all wrapped up in the flesh (carnal, Idolatry)
- no body there served God
Abraham (found in that condition) grabbed hold of God by faith
- and would not let Him go
Abraham, you are going to be a wonderer
- you will follow even when you don’t understand
- God snatched him up and gave him an opportunity of a life time
Abraham: A type or shadow of the Apostle Paul
- a vile man a murderer a persecutor
- God snatched him up and Paul never let go
- and God gave him an opportunity of a life time.
The Jews under the law believed that
- their biological relationship with Abraham was their justification
- he was the founder of their faith
- they associated circumcision with justification
It was very powerful to say
I am a Jew by birth
my father was father Abraham
I was circumcised according to Jewish customs
I am justified because I have kept all of the law
- thus a confidence in human works
This issue is still alive today
- many Americans believe, being American makes them Christian
- some base their claim on a heritage alone
- like born into a certain family
- some base their claim of I was baptized when I was 12
- some believe because they joined a certain church
- or a certain denomination
They believe that the faith of their parents was imparted to them
Justification is a gift! Based upon the fact that we believe
- based upon the fact that we have faith
- (to trust Jesus to live it through us)
QUESTION: why couldn’t Abraham boast?
- he brought nothing into it!
QUESTION: Who do unbelievers serve?
ye cannot have two masters
QUESTION: how do they serve this Jehovah God?
With Abraham, it was God who took the initiative
- God invited him to go on a journey
- to look for another city
- whose builder and maker was God
- a city that has foundations
Rom 4:7 Those who follow his example of faith are children of Abraham
Rom 4:8 “God would justify the heathern through faith”
even Abraham, Issac and Jacob. Could not make the grade