Summary: What does it mean to be summoned by Jesus?
There is one major reason why Jesus Christ who is God came to earth. What was it??
Jesus Christ left heaven and came to earth to save people from their sins by dying on a cross.
But there are a couple more reasons why Jesus left heaven and walked the earth; what are the other reasons besides dying on a cross??
1. Jesus Christ came to earth to teach people about heaven and how to live a life!
2. Jesus Christ called people to teach what He taught! Jesus called disciples! Disciples are followers by learning from and imitating Jesus Christ.
All professing Christians are to be disciples of Christ and make other disciples!
Let us learn from the Gospel of Mark what Jesus did with His first 12 disciples. Open your Bibles to Mark 6…
Read along with me Mark 6:7-13….
What did Jesus do with His disciples?
v7a: called them to Himself (called = “proskaleo” = to summon = called with authority)
v7b: sent them out (sent = “apostello” = to send out as ambassadors!
It does not tell us, but why do you think 2 by 2??
We’ll highlight this again in our applications.
v7c?? they were empowered to handle evil spirits
And what else did Jesus do in v8-12? Jesus gave specific instructions: What’s significant about each one of those instructions??
- Simplicity of life in dependence of God
- Stay in that house? (welcome hospitality)
- v11?? Response to Gospel is answerable to God! There are always new people who need to hear the Gospel!
Did the disciples listen and obeyed Jesus??
v13 tells us the results of the disciples obedience!
Could Jesus be doing the same thing with us Christians right now??
Our church Scripture verse tells us: Matthew 28:18-20…… Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
Jesus called and commanded the first disciples to make other disciples and the disciples after them were called and commanded to do the same. Today, we believers of Christ are the ones called to be disciples and make other disciples!
And so, what can we apply to our lives today as disciples from Mark 6:7-13?
The 1st Disciples responded positively to Jesus Christ and were effective in making other Disciples!
How are we responding to Jesus today?
1. Do we keep in mind Jesus’ summon of us everyday?
2. Are we truly “ambassadors” for Christ wherever we go?
3. Every Believer of Christ has the power of God the Holy Spirit! How can we quench God’s power??
4. 4 words to remember from Mark 6:8-12: Simplicity, Hospitality, Teachability, Transparency!
- Simplicity! Do worldly things get in the way of our walk with God?
- Hospitality! Do we give thanks to God for hospitable people and how hospitable are we?
- Teachability! Is there real interest in learning God’s Word from us and those around us?
- Transparency! God sees everything and will be the final judge!