Summary: A simple sermon for our service for Older Folks.
Jesus, the bread of life. Harvest 6.10.05. Silver Service.
As World War II was drawing to a close, the Allied armies gathered up many hungry orphans. They were placed in camps where they were well-fed. Despite excellent care, they slept poorly. They seemed nervous and afraid. Finally, a psychologist came up with the solution. Each child was given a piece of bread to hold after he was put to bed. This particular piece of bread was just to be held-not eaten. The piece of bread produced wonderful results. The children went to bed knowing instinctively they would have food to eat the next day. That guarantee gave the children a restful and contented sleep.
"I am the Bread of Life" by Quintin Morrow on www.sermoncentral.com
WE NEED BREAD
We need food. Just can’t survive without it
- saw the chaos in New Orleans
- "each city is only 3 meals away from anarchy"
- reminds us of our fallenness! Each of us!
Bread is still the staple diet of most
- in wartime learned 1000 exciting ways to prepare bread. Summer pudding etc etc
So, today- we take time to thank God for His provision for us
- none of us, here today, are hungry
- "thank you, Lord, for your goodness! We count our blessings and we are very grateful"
But, do you know, many people have full bellies… but they are still starving
- so hungry perhaps they don’t even know it! (stomach can shut down)
You see, we are more than just flesh and blood. God made us more than just that!
- it’s true: some can find no peace… no rest… no sleep- because they don’t have bread
o and I’m not taling about flour, water and yeast
You know- Jesus is SO relevant. God knows He is!
- to those looking for truth (politicians, maybe!) Jesus said "I am the truth"
- for, perhaps, traffic wardens, and those lost in life, looking for a way to find God… He said "I am the way"
- for undertakers and all those wondering about the life hereafter He said "I am the resurrection"
- for those walking in darkness He said "I am the light"
What is fascinating is Jesus never offers a philosophy or ideology to people…. Nor does he offer ’great teaching’ (as such)
- He offers Himself
- HE is the answer
Because in the end we don’t need fancy talk- we need GOD. The person of God with us now. We need Him in our lives… and we need to know He cares
And to those hungry, spiritually… those who may have everything else sorted out, but still know there is… has to be… more- He says:
- "I am the bread of life"
JESUS IS THE BREAD
Jesus is the main thing you need.
- He is your food, spiritually
- He is the one who will give you spiritual life, help you to grow
o Keep you alive eternally
I think we are all children at heart, and there are times when the world, future and eternity looks very big and scary
- at those times, like the wartime child, we find it hard to rest and find peace….
But Jesus is the answer. He is the bread. The One you can hold on to
- and rest peacefully
Oh, how we need Jesus
- in fact, you can cope with anything if you have Him
- (it’s true. Peace and Jesus. Can cope with all if you have them. And Jesus is peace, and peace helps you find Jesus)
So- today we remember the physical food we have. But we remember that we need spiritual food as well
- and Jesus is that food. "I am the bread of life. The person who believes in me will never go hungry"
Now- most of us would be thinking "Oh, how I’d love to take communion, now. The Lord’s supper. The Eucharist. Mass"
- because, it can be an incredible, physical, tangible reminder of these truths
But we’re going to do that next time. As we REMEMBER Jesus’ death for us.
- (and it will be very special)
Sometimes it can be really helpful to think about Jesus being the ’bread’ without anything else that might complicate… or distract us from remembering- that it is Jesus we must receive… eat.
It’s not a ritual- it’s an individual, personal, life changing relationship
- it’s not substituted for by eating bread. It is enhanced… brought alive… by eating bread IF the relationship is there first
EAT THIS BREAD
Think about, eat, and receive Jesus, now. Personally
- He is the bread of life
o For your spiritual body
o For eternity and your relationship with God
He is the one you need, this harvest time.