Summary: God has spoken to us in a superior manner through His superior Son!
Jesus: The Complete Revelation of God
1. Scan over the introduction to Hebrews.
2. A pastor and a church member stood by the side of the road, taking turns holding up a sign that said, "The End is Near! Turn around before it’s too late!"
It wasn’t too long until a car drove up. The driver saw the sign, rolled down his window and yelled out: "I just wish you religious nuts would leave us alone!" and he sped up and drove around the curve out of sight.
Shortly, they heard the sound of tires screeching on the pavement… and a big splash.
The church member turned to his pastor, “You know, pastor, I tired to tell you we should have just put up a sign that said ’bridge out’” [Jeff Strite, Sermoncentral].
3. Communication is a big issue. But the ability to communicate abstract thoughts by the spoken or written word is part of what it means to be in God’s image.
4. Human beings are creatures that talk, and God is the Creator who talks!
Main: God has spoken to us in a superior manner through His superior Son!
I. The Son is SUPERIOR to the Prophets (1-2a)
Not a Pauline letter with a greeting, but an eloquent document. The first sentence is said to be some of the most eloquent prose in the NT, sophisticated in rhetoric. Verses 1-4 are believed to be part of a hymn (alliteration/rhythm).
A. God revealed Himself PARTLY through His Prophets
1. How God spoke and revealed Himself
B. God revealed Himself FULLY in Jesus
1. A comparison
• good and better
• ongoing and final
• partly and completely
2. Pastor Rodney Buchanan said, “Many people believe in reincarnation, astrology, communicating with the dead, astral projection and transcendental meditation -- unable to distinguish between what they believe and genuine Christian teaching. In fact, they see no conflict with believing these things and believing in the Christian faith at the same time. Many people believe that it is judgmental to say that it is wrong for unmarried people to live together, to have an abortion, to practice homosexual behavior — unaware that the Bible speaks clearly against all of these kinds of behaviors. Our culture seems to think that everyone can believe or do whatever they want and everyone is still right. Many are saying that all religions are basically the same with different names for God.” [Sermoncentral]
• Missouri is called the “Show Me” State; that’s what God did; instead of merely describing Himself, He veiled Himself in human flesh…
3. How the has revealed God, but the Son leads us into His will (shepherd)
C. He has done so in these Last Days, the MESSIANIC era
II. The Son is Superior to CREATION (2b-4)
A. In both His HUMANITY and Deity, He is Supreme (2b-3a)
1. The Son is the HEIR.