Summary: Jesus The King: Paying the Bill - Matthew chapter 17 verses 24-27 - sermon by Gordon Curley PowerPoint slides to accompany this talk are available on request – email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Jesus Declared as King:
• Matthew chapter 2 verse 2:
• "Where is he born to be KING of the Jews".
• Matthew chapter 4 verse 23:
• "Jesus went throughout Galilee...preaching the good news of the KINGDOM,
• Matthew chapter 21 verse 5:
• "Your KING is coming to you riding on a donkey".
• Matthew chapter 27 verse 11:
• "the governor asked him, "Are you the king of the Jews?" "Yes, it is as you say," replied Jesus".
• Matthew chapter 27 verse 37:
• "This is Jesus, the KING of the Jews".
Jesus Demonstrates his Kingship:
• It is the only miracle recorded solely by Matthew
• It is the only miracle Jesus performed to meet His own needs
• It is the only miracle Jesus performed using money
• It is the only miracle Jesus performed using one fish
• It is the only miracle which does not have the results recorded
• Video clip – You tube – ‘Stop and hear the music’:
• On January 12, 2007 at 7:51am in the morning;
• An experiment began … sponsored by the Washington Post newspaper.
• A young musician takes his position against a wall in the metro station;
• Of the Washington DC., subway.
• He is wearing jeans; a long-sleeved shirt, and a Washington National’s baseball cap.
• He opens his violin case … removes the instrument;
• He throws a few dollars into the case from his pocket as “seed money” … and begins playing.
• He plays for the next 43 minutes … and during that time
• He performs six classical pieces – flawlessly !!
• During that 43 minutes;
• 1,097 people passed by, tossing in a total of $32.17 into his violin case.
• Of that 1,097 people;
• Only seven paused longer than sixty seconds to listen to this performance;
• Of those seven who lingered … only one recognized the violinist!
• The name of the violinist was Joshua Bell:
• Three days prior – he had filled Boston’s Symphony Hall;
• Where just “adequate” tickets sold for $100 apiece.
• And two weeks later,
• He would play for a standing-room-only audience in Bethesda, Maryland.
• Joshua Bell’s talents & artistry commands an average of $1,000 per minute;
• When performing this day in the subway;
• He barely earned enough to pay for a pair of cheap shoes.
• Now – you can’t fault the instrument;
• He was playing a Stradivarius worth 3.5 million dollars!
• You can’t fault the performance …
• He flawlessly played some of Johann Sebastian Bach’s best work!
• Yet … scarcely anyone noticed the presence of such artistry in this context:
• Flanked by a kiosk on one side and a shoe-shine stand on the other
• Most of those passer-by’s cynically wrote off this entertainer;
• As some typical, needy, dime-a-dozen musician,
• Who needed a few more cents to support his habit …or… to pay for a place to sleep.
• Little did they know that among them was a genius;
• And if they gave him some time he would greatly enrich their lives!
• If you had lived 2,000 years ago, and if you encountered Jesus and the disciples,
• There would have been nothing to mark him out as being different,
• From the other twelve men.
• No halo on his head,
• No glow of light shining above or around him,
• He would have looked exactly the same,
• As any other Jewish man from that region of Galilee.
• If he was part of an identity parade to spot the Son of God,
• We would all probably fail to pick him out.
• Even his cousin John the Baptist (John chapter 1 verses 33-34)
• Failed to recognise him without God sending “the Spirit like a dove to land on him”.
• There was nothing that would have marked Jesus out as being different;
• And nothing to mark him out as being a King:
• But that is of course who he was and is!
Jesus Declared the King:
• Matthew in his gospel portrays Jesus a king;
• A quick scan through his gospel portrays that.
(a). Matthew chapter 2 verse 2:
• The Magi / wise men come looking for a baby,
• They ask the question "Where is he born to be KING of the Jews".
• Herod was king because he purchased the position off the Romans;
• But this baby will be born king – it is his kingdom by rights!
(b). Matthew chapter 4 verse 23:
"Jesus went throughout Galilee, teaching in their synagogues,
preaching the good news of the KINGDOM, and healing every