Summary: In this chapter, Jesus is pictured for us as the True Vine. I can imagine Jesus and these men going through the darkened streets of the city and then passing beyond the walls into the surrounding countryside. During this time of year, mid April, the grape
Introduction: The last verse in chapter 14 tells us that Jesus and the Disciples are about to leave the upper room. They are headed to the Garden of Gethsemane where Jesus will pray His great High Priestly prayer and will later be arrested by the mob led by Judas. Apparently, Jesus speaks the words, which comprise chapters 15 and 16 en route to the garden.
In this chapter, Jesus is pictured for us as the True Vine. I can imagine Jesus and these men going through the darkened streets of the city and then passing beyond the walls into the surrounding countryside. During this time of year, mid April, the grape vines would be beginning to blossom with the promise of a fresh harvest. As Jesus walked with his Disciples, perhaps He reached out, took a vine in His hands, and used it to teach an object lesson to His men. His desire is to teach them about the most vital relationship they have in their lives, the one that is with Jesus and His Father.
We might ask ourselves, "Why did Jesus give them this teaching now?" The answer is simple: They needed it! These men have just been informed that Jesus is going away, but that His work is going to continue, and that it is to continue through them and their lives, John 14:12 (quickview) . If they were to carry on the work of the Lord, then they needed to know how to produce that kind of fruit in their lives.
This morning, we are 2,000 years removed from that night, but the work of the Lord still marches forth. God is still working through the followers of Jesus Christ to accomplish His work and will in the world today. Many of us may sit here and wonder how we are supposed to do the work of the Lord and how we can produce that kind of fruit in our own lives. Well, the answer is found in these verses. Because this passage is all about being becoming a genuine Disciple and about how to bear fruit for the glory of the Lord. Let us take a few minutes this morning to view this portrait of Jesus: The True Vine and see how we can become more like Him.
I. The Personality of Jesus the True Vine
B. The genuineness of the true vine
1. Jesus and Jesus alone possesses life within himself.
3. This is one of the most basic and important passages in Scripture.
4. How can we know the way to God?
5. Only through Jesus. Jesus is the way because he is both God and man.
6. By uniting our lives with his, we are united with God.
7. If you will trust Jesus to take you to the Father, and all the benefits of being God’s child will be yours.
8. Jesus says he is the only way to God the Father.
9. Some people may argue that this way is too narrow.
10. In reality, it is wide enough for the whole world, if the world chooses to accept it.
11. Instead of worrying about how limited, it sounds to have only one way, we should be saying, “Thank you, God, for providing a sure way to get to you!”
12. As the way, Jesus is our path to the Father.
13. As the truth, he is the reality of all God’s promises.
14. As the life, he joins his divine life to ours, both now and eternally.