Summary: No matter how bad the situation is - Jesus can make a way!
Jesus – The way maker
Then Jesus, again groaning in Himself, came to the tomb. It was a cave, and a stone lay against it. Jesus said, "Take away the stone." Martha, the sister of him who was dead, said to Him, "Lord, by this time there is a stench, for he has been dead four days." Jesus said to her, "Did I not say to you that if you would believe you would see the glory of God?" Then they took away the stone from the place where the dead man was lying. And Jesus lifted up His eyes and said, "Father, I thank You that You have heard Me. And I know that You always hear Me, but because of the people who are standing by I said this, that they may believe that You sent Me." Now when He had said these things, He cried with a loud voice, "Lazarus, come forth!" And he who had died came out bound hand and foot with grave clothes, and his face was wrapped with a cloth. Jesus said to them, "Loose him, and let him go."
This week and next week we are going to look at the last two miracles of Jesus while on Earth. Today we are studying the resurrection of Lazarus and next week we will look at the miracle for Malcius.
For those participating in Lent you are almost nearing the half way point. Lent is a time when Christians remember the 40 days and nights Jesus spent alone in the desert without food being tempted by the Devil. Jesus used this time to prepare for His work by fasting and praying.
1. Take away the stone
a. I want to liken our hearts today to that grave to which Jesus came. He approached Lazarus’ grave groaning just as He visits those dead places in our hearts and grieves over them.
b. In order for healing and restoration to happen in our heart, The thing that separates us from Jesus must be remove!
c. Jesus wants a resurrection to take place in those dark places of our hearts!
d. Proverbs 4:23 = Keep your heart with all diligence, For out of it spring the issues of life
2. Believe and see the glory of God Really believe We behold the glory of God through a mirror. That is because the glory we see is what is reflected from our own heart. So if we are not seeing the glory of God in our life – Then there is something in our heart that needs fixing!
We are called God’s vessels of compassion who were created to receive revelation of His glory.
Romans 9:23–24 = That He might make known the riches of His glory on the vessels of mercy (compassion), which He had prepared beforehand for glory, even us whom He called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles
We were prepared to see His glory.
3. Come forth Jesus did not have to beg or plead – He said “Come Forth”
Jeremiah 23:28-29 Let the one who has my word speak it faithfully ... “Is not my word like fire,” declares the LORD, “and like a hammer that breaks a rock in pieces?”
When you speak the Word of God, you are tapping into limitless power!
• Three times Jesus spoke to Satan: “It is WRITTEN!”, and Satan’s schemes were defeated. There is great power in the spoken word of God.
Many Christians fail to really use the word of God in their life. It’s more then reading and studying – It’s speaking it into your life situations and seeing it work – I keep scriptures in my wallet so I can you them. Just like I use the money in my wallet.
4. Loose him and let him go
No matter what chains, addictions, habits you my have – Jesus can loose every bondage!
Lazarus was not total free until he was loosen from the grave clothes.
1. Jesus gives us freedom from the bondage of sin. that "sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin." (Romans 6:6)
2. Jesus gives us freedom from fear – Luke 12:32 = "Do not fear, little flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the kingdom.
3. Jesus gives us freedom from the burden, requirements and curse of Old Testament Law.
4. Jesus gives us freedom from the realm of Satan and the power of darkness that we might "enter into the kingdom of the Son of His love" (Colossians 1:13).
5. Jesus will bring freedom to all creation from the curse that is upon the earth because of sin Romans 8:21 = because the creation itself also will be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the glorious liberty of the children of God.