Summary: The Fact That Jesus WILL Come again
Jesus Will Come Again!
There are seven truths about Jesus that every Christian must accept, without any doubt, because they are the basis for salvation of one’s soul and are necessary for faith.
• Virgin Birth – conceived of the Holy Spirit; born of a virgin.
• Sinless Life – Not even a thought of sin had entered his mind
• Vicarious Death – He died so others could live.
• Resurrection – On the third day he arose out of the grave ALIVE.
• Ascension – He ascended into Heaven
• Intercession – He sits at the right hand of the Father.
• Second Coming – He is returning to judge the sons of man.
o This second Coming is what I would like to talk about this morning.
Dr. Tim LaHaye said, “THE SECOND COMING of Jesus Christ to this earth is one of the most significant events mentioned in the entire Bible. The New Tes¬tament alone includes 321 references to this awesome occurrence, making it the second most prominent doctrine presented in Scrip¬ture next to salvation itself.”
The second coming is referred to:
• in many of the psalms,
• by all of the prophets,
• by all of the apostles,
• And of course by our Lord Himself on numerous occasions.
The New Testament teaches it in one out of every 30 verses and in every chapter of 1 and 2 Thes¬salonians (which are the first books written for the early church). Moreover, all nine New Testament authors mention it in 23 of their 27 books. Obviously God intended His church to be motivated to holiness, evangelism, and mis¬sionary concern by the study of the second coming of Christ.
Several key doctrines of the Bible are absolutely dependent on the second coming of Christ:
• The resurrection of the dead cannot be fulfilled until Jesus comes again.
• Likewise, Christ’s victory over Satan cannot be completed until He returns.
• Most impor¬tantly, His divine nature cannot be vindicated unless He comes to earth again since He promised so many times that He would.
o He would be guilty of fraud and deceit if He failed to return, and God simply cannot lie.
o John 14:3 quotes Jesus as saying, "I will come again."
o Therefore, the second coming of Christ is not only a certainty; it is a doctrinal necessity.
My Brothers and Sisters in Christ – some will scoff and sneer at the idea of a second coming of Christ. Others will call those of us who believe - fools. And all around we see people living like He isn’t coming back.
We should ALL be ready!
After church, where she had been taught about the Second Coming, a little girl was quizzing her mother. “Mommy, do you believe Jesus will come back?”
“Could he come this week?”
“Could he come in the next hour?”
“In a few minutes?”
“Mommy, would you comb my hair?”
Are you ready?
But let’s look at what is said in Acts 1:4-11:
This passage tells us just about as much as any other passage in the Bible does about the second coming of Jesus.
It tells us two very important things I would like to share with you today (1) He’s Coming & (2) Get Ready:
I. He Is Coming Again.
A. As the disciples stood watching two men, dressed in white, came with a message from God.
1. "Men of Galilee, why do you stand gazing up into heaven? This same Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will so come in like manner as you saw Him go into heaven." (Acts 1:11)
a) That is pretty clear.
b) That is from God.
2. There are other promises also:
a) Jesus said, “And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also.” (John 14:3)
B. It would be in the air.
1. “For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord.” (1 Thess 4:16-17)
a) It begins with the rapture of the church.
(1) Oh, don’t be left behind, for those who are will go through great tribulation.
(2) Be ready for that “great getting-up morning.”
2. If you are here and you Don’t know Jesus you are not ready.
a) You must Know Jesus.
(1) You can be on the church roll and be left behind.