Summary: Introduction to 2 John
2nd John - Truth
INTRODUCTION: 2nd John is more of a “postcard” than a Letter. Although it is among the smallest Books in the Bible, it has an important message for us to heed.
I. The Author of the Book -
B. Reasons for believing the Elder to be John:
1. Vocabulary and subject matter close to 1st John;
2. Attributed to John by the early Church;
C. For biographical information see notes on 1st John.
II. The Recipient of the Book
A. The elect lady and her children;
B. The elect lady
1. … was loved by all (vv. 1-2);
2. … hosted the Church in her home (v. 10);
3. … was known for her hospitality (v. 10).
C. Her children:
1. … were loved by all (vv. 1-2);
2. … were walking in truth (v. 4);
III. The Date & Place of Writing
A. Date: Probably in the year 90 AD.
B. Place: The place of the writing was probably Ephesus.
IV. The Purpose of the Book
A. It was probably written as a cover letter for 1st John.
B. To encourage her with good news about her children (v. 4);
C. To instruct her concerning how to deal with false teachers (vv. 9-10);
V. The Keys to the Book
A. The key thought = Exercise discerning love!
B. The key phrase = “the truth”
C. The key verse = v. 4
D. Key Words =
1. Truth - 4 times
2. Love - 4 times
VI. The Outline to the Book
A. Oneness in Truth - vv. 1-3
1. It is expressed in affection (v. 1)
2. It is accepted as a possession (v. 2)
3. It expresses God’s blessings (v. 3)
B. Obedience to the Truth - vv. 4-6
1. Practiced (v. 4)
2. Commanded (v. 4)
3. Enjoyed (vv. 5-6)
C. Opponents of the Truth - vv. 7-13
1. Their number (v. 7)
2. Their doctrine (vv. 7, 9)
3. Their character (v. 7)
4. A warning (vv. 8, 1-11)
CONCLUSION: (vv. 12-13)