Summary: This is a stand alone Mother's Day sermon. I used a lot of material from other sermons, (can't remember sources) so let me know if I owe you credit. I found "Jochebed" to under-served in the sermon section. I hope someone can benefit from this.
Jochebed: A woman of Faithful Determination”
Mother’s Day 2016
OPEN: REAL MOTHER’S
Real Mothers are special people.
Real mothers would like to be able to eat a whole candy bar (all by themselves) and drink a Coke without any "floaters" in it.
Real Mothers know that their kitchen utensils are probably going to end up in the sandbox.
Real Mothers often have sticky floors, filthy ovens and happy kids.
Real Mothers know that dried play dough doesn’t come out of shag carpets.
Real Mothers sometimes ask "Why me?" and get their answer when a little voice says, "Because I love you best."
Real Mothers know that a child’s growth is not measured by height or years or grade.
It is marked by the progression of Mama to Mom to Mother...
Mothers are an integral part of our lives.
We wouldn’t be who we are without our mothers.
TODAY IS A DIFFICULT DAY FOR MANY OF YOU….
MISSING MOM, MISSING MOTHERHOOD, MISSING CHILDREN00
Some of the greatest people in history:
- will tell you how important their mothers were to their lives.
George Washington, for example, declared:
“All I am I owe to my mother”.
Napolean Bonaparte said, “Give us strong mothers and we will have strong sons.”
Abraham Lincoln said, “Behind ever great man is a great mother.”
This was also true of one of the greatest men in Old Testament history:
a man named Moses.
Moses became the kind of man he was because of the type of mother he had.
MOTHER’S ARE GOOD AT FAITHFUL DETERMINATION…
- So much time is spent speaking and studying about MEN of the Bible
- I wanted to give some attention to WOMEN Bible heroes..
- Arlington Christian Church is in debt to women of Faithful Determination
o Who have raised and taught generations of people
o Who add Church service/labor to already FULL schedules…
Nothing will have a more profound and lasting influence in the lives of our children than having good, godly examples in their homes.
Moms you have a calling to receive.
To live a life that is a demonstration of God’s love
- you to consider the example of JOCHABED…
- “Faithful determination” are the 2 words that I describe her with
- Strong to the finish…
Jochabed is in the book of Exodus because MOSES wrote the book of Exodus,
But funny thing is that without Jochabed there is no MOSES…
The story: How did we end up here?
o Remember back to Joseph leading his family INTO Egypt, and saving them from the famine??
o His family stayed and multiplied.
By the time of Pharaoh:
- the Hebrews had multiplied greatly
Pharoah feared the HEBREW PEOPLE would:
- outnumber the Egyptians and take over the nation.
- he commanded that all newly-born Hebrew boys be thrown into the CROCODILE INVESTED NILE RIVER….
LET’S LOOK AT JOCHEBED…..
1. Her Identity - A godly mother OF ARRON, MIRIAM NOW MOSES
- She was an Israelite,
- from the tribe of Levi:
2. Her Dilemma
She was living in a HOSTILE WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Jochebed’s life was NOT EASY.