Summary: exposition on matthew ch3
John’s Message for today
Matthew 3 v. 1 - 12
THE MAN v. 1 - 6 we read in John 1v6 "there was a man sent from God whose name was John."
1. His Missionfield -was the "wilderness of Judea" - A place of barreness, brokeness, and blessing
2. His Means - v. 1 "preaching" -it was the Divine Means,the Direct Means,
the Dynamic Means.
3. His Message v. 2 "Repent ye for the kingdom of heaven is at hand" -
Repentance wasDesired, Described, and Demanded.
4. His Mission v. 3 was one of inspiration (Isaiah),one of Isolation (the voice of one ) one of Proclamation (crying)one of Preparation (prepare ye the way of the Lord)
5. His Magnetism v. 5 "Then went out to him" because of what he was i.e. "a man sent from God", who he was - prophet, why he was? the forerunner
6. His Method v. 6 water baptism on confession of sins
THE MIGHT OF THE MAN v. 7 - 10 "when he saw many of the Pharisees."
1. His Description of the hypocrites - "O generation of vipers" v. 7
2. His Demand of these hypocrites - "bring forth fruits meet for repentance" v. 8
3. His Disdain for these hypocrites v. 9 for their profession,their persuasion, and their presumption
4. His Discloure to these hypocrites v. 10 - judgement is sure (the axe is laid), swift (axe), soon (laid), and severe (unto the root of the trees.)
THE MODESTY OF THE MAN v. 11 "But He that cometh after me is mightier than I." Notice:- The humility of:-
1.His Purpose v. 11 "I baptise with water,but He with the Holy Ghost"
2. His Person v. 11 "whose shoes I am not worthy to bear" -see his concept of his Saviour, of himself, of his service.
3. His Place v. 11 "He is mightier than I" ie. in person,in position,in power, and in performance.
4. His Position v. 12 "whose fan is in his hand."
(a) He is the judge - "whose fan" for winnowing is in his hand
(b) He will judge - personally, precisely (throughly), purposely - purge his floor.
(c) He must judge - "he must gather his wheat into his garner and he must burn the chaff with unquenchable fire" - judgement is certain, set, soon, solemn.
THE MOTIVATION OF THE MAN v. 2 "repent ye, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand"
1. The certanity of His coming "the kingdom of heaven"
2. The proximity of His coming "is at hand"
3. The solemnity of His coming i.e. v. 12 - for judgement Note there is:-
(a) The place for preparation - earth
(b) The price in preparation - repentance
(c) The period of preparation - now "Behold now is the accepted time" and
(d) The peril to preparation - procrastination Repent now -the Lord is at hand.