Summary: Part #2 of "Josh's Journey" series, looking at 4 different scenes from Joshua's life
Last week we started a 4-week series on the Old Testament character, Joshua, called “Josh Journey”.
• He was one of the 12 spies that checked out Canaan.
• He was the one that led the Israelites into the promised land.
• The Jordan River parted for him
• He led them into victory over Jericho
• The sun stood still during one of their battles
Josh had quite the journey! Last week we talked about how all 12 spies were in the same place, saw the same people, experienced the same sights, sounds and smells but 10 of them had a much different report from Caleb and Joshua. We learned that:
WHEN YOU SEE WHAT GOD WANTS YOU TO SEE, YOU CAN DO WHAT GOD WANTS YOU TO DO
When we see God correctly, it puts our difficulties in perspective
Today, we are going to look at another snap shot of Joshua’s life. The young man that was Moses right-hand assistant, who was one of the 12 spies that went into Canaan has aged a little. He is now 40 years older having wandered in the wilderness with the rest of the Israelites. Moses has died. Joshua has been named the leader who will take God’s people into the Promised Land.
Have you ever been asked to do something that was:
• WAY beyond you?
• WAY bigger than your experience?
• WAY more than your skill set?
• Perhaps it was a job promotion or transfer
• Maybe it was starting a new Bible study at work
• Taking over a thriving business from your retiring boss
“Now put yourself in Joshua’s sandals for a moment and let the reality of Moses’ death and his new role sink in. The only leader Joshua (and the Israelites for that matter) had EVER known was Moses the friend of God (Ex. 33:11). Moses had led them out of Egypt while Joshua was just a boy. Moses had led them through the Red Sea. God had used Moses to provide water, food, clothing, and shelter. Under Moses’ leadership, the Israelites had experienced the pillar of cloud by day and fire by night. Under Moses’ leadership, the tabernacle had been constructed and the ark of the covenant and the various elements for worship fashioned. Moses had come down from the mountain of God with the Ten Commandments engraved by the very finger of God. And on and on and on it went: Moses this and Moses that, and now Joshua was supposed to step into Moses’ sandals and take up the mantle of leadership.”
How would YOU be feeling?
What did God speak to Joshua in these first 9 verses?
Lead my people
• Everywhere you go, you will be on land I HAVE given you
• No one will be able to defeat you because I WILL BE WITH YOU
• I will not fail you or abandon you.
• Be strong and courageous
• Be strong and VERY courageous
• Obey my laws and you will be successful
• Study my Word continually
• Be strong and courageous.
• Do not be afraid or discouraged for I am with you
BELIEVING WHAT GOD SPEAKS, GIVES STRENGTH AND
COURAGE TO THE WEAK!
It’s NOT ENOUGH to HEAR what God speaks. We must BELIEVE!