Summary: This is a series comparing the life of Joseph and Jesus
Joseph and Jesus ~ Sermon 2
12And his brethren went to feed their father’s flock in Shechem.
13And Israel said unto Joseph, Do not thy brethren feed the flock in Shechem? come, and I will send thee unto them. And he said to him, Here am I.
• Jacob asked Joseph if his brothers went to feed the flock. He told him to come and he would send him unto them. And Joseph said “Here Am I”
14And he said to him, Go, I pray thee, see whether it be well with thy brethren, and well with the flocks; and bring me word again. So he sent him out of the vale of Hebron, and he came to Shechem.
• Jacob told him to Go and Check on his brothers
o Jesus goes to check on those he loves
• Jacob wanted him to check on the Flock
o Jesus checks on the Flock on a regular basis to see if it is well with us.
• Joseph was to bring him word back of their condition
o Jesus makes intercession with the Father on our behalf
15And a certain man found him, and, behold, he was wandering in the field: and the man asked him, saying, What seekest thou?
• A Man found him wandering in a field, and the man asked him what he was seeking
o The Lord has been seeking those that are not where they are suppose to be. The brothers were suppose to be in Shechem but they were not there.
16And he said, I seek my brethren: tell me, I pray thee, where they feed their flocks.
17And the man said, They are departed hence; for I heard them say, Let us go to Dothan. And Joseph went after his brethren, and found them in Dothan.
• Joseph went after his brethren when e found out where they had went to
o Jesus comes after us when we are out of place
• Joseph found his brothers
o Jesus will find us
18And when they saw him afar off, even before he came near unto them, they conspired against him to slay him.
• Joseph was seen coming from a great way off
o Jesus can be seen coming from a great way off
• Those that Joseph thought loved him conspired against him
o Judas conspired against Jesus
• Josephs live was sought
o The life of Jesus was sought
19And they said one to another, Behold, this dreamer cometh.
• Joseph was mocked and made fun of
o Jesus was mocked too
20Come now therefore, and let us slay him, and cast him into some pit, and we will say, Some evil beast hath devoured him: and we shall see what will become of his dreams.
• Josephs life was sought because of the things that God had in store for him
o The life of Jesus was sought for the same reason
21And Reuben heard it, and he delivered him out of their hands; and said, Let us not kill him.
• Rueben stood up in defense for Joseph to try to help him
o Many have stood up in defense of Jesus
22And Reuben said unto them, Shed no blood, but cast him into this pit that is in the wilderness, and lay no hand upon him; that he might rid him out of their hands, to deliver him to his father again.
• Rueben wanted to cast him into the pit where he could come back later to save him and take him to the father
23And it came to pass, when Joseph was come unto his brethren, that they stript Joseph out of his coat, his coat of many colours that was on him;
• Joseph was stripped of his garment
o Jesus was stripped of His garment
And they crucified him, and parted his garments, casting lots: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, They parted my garments among them, and upon my vesture did they cast lots.
24And they took him, and cast him into a pit: and the pit was empty, there was no water in it.
• They placed Joseph somewhere he would be thirsty – They wanted him to thirst
o There came a time when Christ was on the Cross that he said I thirst
After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, saith, I thirst.
25And they sat down to eat bread: and they lifted up their eyes and looked, and, behold, a company of Ishmeelites came from Gilead with their camels bearing spicery and balm and myrrh, going to carry it down to Egypt.
26And Judah said unto his brethren, What profit is it if we slay our brother, and conceal his blood?