Summary: From spoiled one, to anointed one who repairs the family breach
1-20-08 (part 2) short lesson on Joseph the ruler
Joseph the dreamer
Joseph the spoiled one (by Jacob)
Joseph’s coat of many colors
Joseph’s other 11 brothers
- the envying the jealousy the hatred
Joseph and the pit
Joseph and the Egyptian caravan
Joseph the slave
Joseph: sold to Potaphar
Potaphar: Captain of the Guards (Egyptian prison)
Potaphers wife: entrigued indeed (fell for Joseph)
she went nuts: over this "handsome creature"
chapters, books, and volumes were written
- on this subject alone (his looks)
- not only in the Bible but in many history books
Poems from Persia (Surat chap 12 and verse 32)
- as the most beautiful and pious of men
- poems of Yusuf and Zuleekha
- "she lost her self-government" (self-control)
"She became a slave to her passions"
The Koran is of Arabic composition
- written at least some by Arabs
- (stories as told by Moses)
- The law-giver of Arabia writes
- Joseph, the "handsome one"
Mohammad writes in his book (entire chapter 22)
- talks of Joseph’s "comliness"
- talks about "his perfect body"
- he calls Joseph "the most accomplished of mortals"
Notice the far reaching effects of one’s actions
- some of those icarcerated here in my home state.
- your stories have been told in many areas of Kentucky
Joseph was so handsome
- Potaphers wife would invite 40 women over
- to show Joseph off
- 40 ladies would be pealing oranges
- and then she would bring Joseph in
- they began to cut their hands up
- they squealed with delight and awesomeness (not noticing the freshly drawn blood)
In the Greek language: it is interpreted what they said!
- "Oh God! this is not a human being, this is none other
than a glorious angel! Surat X11: verse 32
Joseph was made head of Potaphers household
- God always promotes Joseph: no matter where he is at
- wonder why? His integrity
- Poaphers wife: entraps him (another coat)
- Joseph failed: in mans eyes, but not in God’s eyes
- the prison sentence (a man innocent) (not guilty)
- A man of the highest integrity gets falsely accused
- how does this stout fellow fare now?
Now: from overseer to prisoner
Several powerful things that keep getting repeated:
1. Josephs ability to forgive: his 11 brothers
- some of you your entire hosuse hold that have let you down
- some, a dad has let you down
- some a mother may have let you down
2. Josephs ability to see positive in all circumstances
3. Josep’s strength to say no!
4. Josephs strength: as a slave
5. Josephs strength as an overseer
- Josephs gift: to interpret dreams
- first: the baker and the butler (later the Pharoah)
- the baker and the butler (imprisioned wtih him)
- the baker: is killed by the king
- the butler is set free
- Joseph’s dream was unspeakably accurate
Josephs strength as a prisioner (two years without hope)
- now the Egyptian leaders dream is interpreted
- Joseph again: quickly promoted
Joseph’s strength as 2nd in command in Egypt
Joseph: From the pit to Egyptian Goverenor
God had a divine plan
To save Israel from certain death
Joseph: the focused one
Now 2nd in command of all of Egypt
The huge wide spread famine
- Joseph: now in charge of the food supply
- for many nations
What if God assigns you the task
- of being a repairer of "the breach"
- what satan has intended to use to destroy
A breach: is a break or hole in the wall
Are you so centered on being angry
- that you will miss out on your assignment entirely?
Your family unit has been savagely interupted
- perhaps your mom got caught up on drugs/alcohol
- a dad let the family unit down
- perhaps your house was not a house of prayer
- perhaps some siblings forgot to honor their parents
What shipwreck, neglegt will cause
Now who can restore life unto the family?
- who can shake themselves to reality first?
- who can God depend on?
What is it?
- its a choice (it’s two options)
(1) - self-centeredness
(2) - or life (for you and for others)
Again: what if it is you that God calls to restore the broken family to wholeness?
- are you willing to be led?