Summary: Sermon 4 in this series. Moses is not allowed to enter the promised land because he failed to glorify God. A generation of Jews did not go in because they failed to follow their leaders and the vision that God had given them. Now, a new generation, a new
Follow the Leader!
CBC Joshua Series #4
Before moving into the text, where Joshua and Caleb and the Israelites will enter the land, let us not forget that Moses and all Israelites who had been over 20 years old at the Exodus will not enter the land. In fact, they are all dead!
1. Why Moses didn’t go in.
• Failure to glorify God.
• He missed the promised land by one letter (in English)
• Must “We” fetch you water.
• Should have been “He.”
• So there is a solemn warning to the minister.
• One that I take seriously!
• But there is also a serious warning to the laity here!
2. Why Majority didn’t go in.
• Failure to honor & obey leadership.
• Failure to follow the vision that God gave to the leaders.
• Listening to the negative crowd!
"People are gonna talk, preacher."
Yes, and people are gonna die.
QUOTE: “Leadership is the activity of influencing people to cooperate toward some goal which they COME TO FIND desirable.” (Ordway Tead)
I. Jehovah Speaks to The Leader (1-9)
Joshua 1:1 Now after the death of Moses the servant of the Lord it came to pass, that the Lord spake unto Joshua the son of Nun, Moses’ minister, saying,
• The command is to Joshua & is to be obeyed by the people.
• God speaks to the leader.
• He demands obedience from the people even though He does not speak to them directly.
QUOTE: Warren Wiersbe tells us, “Over the years I have seen churches . . . flounder and almost destroy themselves in futile attempts to embalm the past and escape the future. Their theme song was, ‘As it was in the beginning, so shall it ever be, world without end, Amen.’ Often I’ve prayed with and for godly Christian leaders who were criticized, persecuted, and attacked simply because, like Joshua, that had a divine commission to lead a ministry into new fields of conquest; but the people would not follow. More than one pastor has been offered as a sacrificial lamb because he dared to suggest that the church make some changes.”
• When Moses was alive, God spake about Joshua to Moses.
• Now, God speaks to Moses.
• If I move from this church, you listen to the new leader. He will be receiving the vision!
A. The Commands (2)
 Moses my servant is dead; now therefore arise, go over this Jordan, thou, and all this people, unto the land which I do give to them, even to the children of Israel.
1. Enter the Land
2. Conquer the Land
3. Divide the Land
Entering the Land (1-5)
Conquering the Land (6-12)
Dividing the Land (13-22)
QUOTE: Often the key to a Bible book is found lying just by the door!
B. The Conditions (7-9)
NOTE: All of the following tie directly to God’s Word! Joshua was to:
Perceive the Law - Understand it.
Practice the Law - Do it.
Preach the Law - Keep it in “thy mouth.”
1. Obedience to God’s Word
 Only be thou strong and very courageous, that thou mayest observe to do according to all the law, which Moses my servant commanded thee: turn not from it to the right hand or to the left, that thou mayest prosper whithersoever thou goest.
• Observe to do “all the law.” (7)
• Turn not from it to right hand or to the left.(7)
ILLUS: I like this. Some of our Baptist friends have turned from it to the right. They are teaching as doctrine the commandments of men. I don’t find anything about Bible translations in this book. I find principles for Bible translations. No translation that denies the deity of Christ or His blood is welcome here at Calvary. But to some, they can’t preach 30:00 without pushing their man-made doctrine 5 times. Others turn from it to the left. They excuse everything! And it isn’t just Episcopalians!
• We are to “do according to all that is written therein.” (8)
• That includes tithing.
• That includes having your speed seasoned with grace!
• That includes loving one another.
• That includes being slow to anger.
• That includes forgiving those that offend you.
• That include dressing modestly.
• That’s Bible.
• We think we can be right on the Virgin Birth and throw the rest out.
• No! A thousand times, NO!
• Some of you wonder why you aren’t blessed!
• It is no mystery. Read the book! Obey the book!
2. Meditation on God’s Word
 This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.