Summary: Five Steps for Future Success
A. THE HINGE OF HISTORY
“After the death of Moses, the servant of the LORD, the LORD said to Joshua, Moses’ assistant; ‘Moses is dead. Now it is time for you to lead My people, the Israelites, across the Jordan River into the Promised Land I promised them’” (Joshua 1:1-2).
1. A unique period in the history of time where the future is changed from the past.
a. The Atomic Bomb exploded.
b. Berlin Wall came down.
c. The Internet was booted up.
d. The Twin Towers came down.
2. Change comes after the death/leaving of a leader.
3. God told, because they didn’t know Moses was dead.
4. First law of leadership, led by future vision. “When people buy into your dreams, they buy into your leadership.” “Time for you to lead” (v. 2).
5. There is always a Jordan, i.e., problems/barriers. Begin with faith in God, “Say to this mountain” (Mark 11:23).
6. You lead by God’s promises. “Land I promised” (v. 2).
7. You need a goal to motivate followers. “Into the land I promised.”
“I will give you all the land on which you set your feet . . . no one will be able to stop you. I will be with you as I was with Moses. I will not fail you or abandon you” (vv. 3-5, ELT).
8. God is the source of our victory. “I will give you” (v. 3).
9. Human responsibility and initiative. “You set your foot” (v. 3).
10. We limit God by not going.
a. We must see.
e. Not quit. “The world has yet to see what God can do with a man totally committed to God” -Harry Varner.
11. We can expect God to do for us what He did for our fathers.
12. God’s work does not end when a great man dies.
13. Our most important ingredient for success, “I will be with you.”
14. We may abandon God because:
c. Side tracked.
d. Doubting His word.
e. Halfhearted work.
f. Lack of faith.
g. Lack of obedience.
15. God wants His work done. “I will not abandon you” (v. 3).
B. 5 STEPS FOR FUTURE SUCCESS
“Be strong and courageous, you are to lead My people to conquer the Promised Land, then divide it to them. Be careful to obey all the instructions Moses gave you. If you do not deviate from them, turning to the right or left, then you will be successful in everything you do. Study My Word constantly. Think about everything it says so you will obey everything I have commanded. Then you will prosper and be successful. All of this I want you to do. Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or discouraged, because I the Lord your God will be with you” (vv. 6-9, ELT).
1. Be a person of vision. “Lead My people to conqueror the Promised Land.” Vision gives you:
a. Purpose in life.
b. Defines who you are.
c. A road to happiness.
d. Makes you trust God.
e. Stretches you to grow.
2. Be a person of godly virtue. “Study . . . meditate or think” (v. 8). You become what you study, and you are what you think.
3. Be a person of physical vigor. “Be strong.” You are only as strong as you have prepared to be. Strength doesn’t come when you face a challenge if you haven’t prepared:
a. Your faith.
b. Your condition.
c. Your relationship with God.
d. Your experience, i.e., track record.
4. Be a person of valor. “Be courageous.” You are as courageous as your:
b. Skill to fight.
d. Knowledge of the enemy.
e. Mental readiness.
5. Be a person of victory. “Thou shalt have good success” (v. 8, KJV). You must:
a. Plan for it.
b. Set its limits.
c. Write it down.
d. Commit yourself to it.
e. Give everything to get it.
f. Don’t quit until you get it.
g. Proclaim it.
h. Enjoy it.
If you have never really accepted Jesus as your personal Savior, would you do it right now? Do not delay or put it off. If you would like to receive Christ by faith, pray this simple prayer in your heart:
Dear Lord, I acknowledge that I am a sinner. I believe Jesus died for my sins on the cross, and rose again the third day. I repent of my sins. By faith I receive the Lord Jesus as my Savior. You promised to save me, and I believe You, because You are God and cannot lie. I believe right now that the Lord Jesus is my personal Savior, and that all my sins are forgiven through His precious blood. I thank You, dear Lord, for saving me. In Jesus’ name, Amen.