Summary: 1. The Condemnation– Ex 11:4; 2. The Lamb - Ex 12:3, 5; 3. Examine The Lamb - Ex 12:5; 4. Slay The Lamb - Ex. 12:6; 5. Blood of the Lamb - Ex: 12:7
Approaching the 3rd year of the civil war Jan. 1 1863. Was when the Emancipation Proclamation was taken to Mr. Lincoln by Secretary Seward, for the President’s signature, Mr. Lincoln took a pen, dipped it in the ink, moved his hand to the place for the signature, held it a moment, then removed his hand and dropped the pen. After a little hesitation, he again took up the pen and went through the same movement as before.
Mr. Lincoln then turned to Mr. Seward and said: “I have been shaking hands since nine o’clock this morning, and my right arm is almost paralyzed. If my name ever goes into history, it will be for this act, and my whole soul is in it. If my hand trembles when I sign the Proclamation, all who examine the document hereafter will say, “He hesitated.””
He then turned to the table, took up the pen again, and slowly, firmly wrote “Abraham Lincoln,” with which the whole world is now familiar.
He then looked up, smiled, and said, “That will do.”
- Slavery was legally abolished December 6, 1865 by the Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution.
- From the time of Abraham to the Exodus called sojourn 430 – Ex. 12:40
- As slaves in Egypt from Joseph to Exodus 60-100 years – Ex. 6:16-20
- Like the drift today of America losing its freedom
Israel’s Emancipation Proclamation Ex. 6:1-8
Ex 6:4 - Covenant was established
Ex. 6:5 -Covenant remembered
Ex. 6:6-8 - The Emancipation Proclamation promised
- Note the seven “I wills”
• Rest - v.6
• Deliverance - v.6
• Salvation - v.6
• Fellowship - v.7
• Assurance - v.7
• Guidance - v.8
• Blessing - v.8
The Journey from Slavery to Freedom
- It was not until Egypt went through 10 plagues (6 ch. Later)
- No freedom or even life if you do not give care to the instructions
- Death came to every home in Egypt: either the death of the firstborn, or the death of the lamb
1. The Condemnation
- Death to all – Ex 11:4-5
John 3:18 (AV)
18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
Begotten - unique, one and only one of a kind:
1 John 4:9 (AV)
9 In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.
2. The Lamb - Ex 12:3, 5
– Lamb, Male, Year old, Without defect
John 1:29 (AV)
29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.
1 Peter 1:18–19 (AV)
18 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, ……
19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:
2 Corinthians 5:21 (AV)
21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
3. Examine The Lamb - Ex 12:5
- Without defects
- Never a lamb more closely examined than Jesus Christ.
• Annas father-in-law of the high priest examined Jesus - Jn.18:13
• Caiaphas - The high priest examined Jesus - Jn.18:13-14
• Next the entire priesthood – Lk 22:66
• Now Pilate, & Herod – Lk. 23:3-6, – 7-11
• And then Pilate examined Jesus again. – Lk. 23:13-15
4. Slay The Lamb - Ex. 12:6
- Blood had to be spilt
- Ex. 12:6 – Separate the lamb for 4 days – Kill it in the evening
- Jesus died at the time the Passover lamb slain – Lk 23:44-46
5. Blood of the Lamb - Ex: 12:7
– Apply the blood to the door post & Lintel
- Visible for all to see – Being unashamed
- Doorposts, where it might be looked to
- Not on the threshold, where it might be trodden under foot.
- To be saved they had to pass through the blood
- Hyssop to be used to place the blood on the doorpost – Ex 12:22
- Hyssop has cleansing & purifying value
- Hyssop was used to put a vinegar-soaked sponge to Jesus’ lip – Jn 19:29
Hebrews 9:22 (AV)
22 And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.
Revelation 12:11 (AV)
11 And they overcame him (accuser of our brethren v.10) by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.