Summary: Pursuing righteousness means coming in right standing with God
Journey to righteousness
Matthew 6:33 - but seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.
Definition of righteousness - being in right standing with God
The door to righteousness is faith
Hebrews 11:6 - But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.
Righteousness is a doing word. It is something we must do.
James 2:20 - …faith without works is dead.
Examples from Hebrews 11
The two brothers, Cain and Abel, were raised in the same household by the same parents. However, they were different. There were things that Abel did in his worship which he did by choice which pleased God. To be righteous, we must please God.
Hebrews 11:4 - By faith Abel offered to God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, through which he obtained witness that he was righteous, god testifying of his gifts; and through it he being dead still speaks.
This has a lot to do with our giving – what we give to God is an act of worship.
Noah was righteous before God because he believed God, he obeyed God and he went out and did the work that was required of him.
Hebrews 11:7 - By faith Noah, being divinely warned of things not yet seen, moved with godly fear, prepared an ark for the saving of his household, by which he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness which is according to faith.
Hebrews 11:8 - By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to the place which he would receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing where he was going.
Genesis 15:6 - And he believed in the Lord, and He accounted it to him for righteousness.
4. Many others
Hebrews 11:32-33 - and what more shall I say? For the time would fail me to tell of Gideon and Barak and Samson and Jephthah, also of David and Samuel and the prophets: who through faith subdued kingdoms, worked righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions.
1. Righteousness comes by faith
Romans 1:17 -For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, "the just shall live by faith."
2. Righteousness is taught
2 Timothy 3:16 - All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.
3. Righteousness comes by practice
1 John 3:10 - In this the children of God and the children of the devil are manifest: whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is he who does not love his brother.
4. Righteousness involves your body
Romans 6:13 - And do not present your members as instruments of unrighteousness to sin, but present yourselves to God as being alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God.
5. Righteousness comes by the Spirit
Ephesians 5:9 - For the fruit of the spirit is in all goodness, righteousness, and truth.
The benefits of the righteous
1. The Lord will surround you like a shield - Psalm 5:12
2. The eyes of the Lord are on you - Psalm 34:15
3. The Lord delivers the righteous out of all their troubles - Psalm 34:17
4. The righteous shall inherit the land - Psalm 37:29
5. He will never permit the righteous to be moved - Psalm 55:22
6. The lord loves the righteous - Psalm 146:8
7. Blessings are on the head of the righteous - Proverbs 10:6
8. No grave trouble will overtake the righteous - proverbs 12:21
9. The wealth of the sinner is stored up for the righteous - Proverbs 13:22
10. The righteous has a refuge in his death - Proverbs 14:32
11. God hears the prayer of the righteous - Proverbs 15:29
12. The children of the righteous are blessed - Proverbs 20:7