Summary: Examining this Christmas Song
Joy To The World
The Gospel In Hymns - Albert Bayley
Imagine a little man 5 feet high; a large head made bigger with a huge wig, a hooked nose small piercing eyes, a frail and sickly body; the whole combination looking more like an embryo than a fully developed organism; that was the illustrious Rev. Isaac Watts Dissenter, Congregationalist.
A beautiful and accomplished young, lady once upon a time fell in love with him through his poetry, having never seen him. whereupon she declined him in her most gracious manner and added with no doubt the best of intentions, “Mr. Watts, I only wish I could say that I admire the casket as much as I admire the jewel.” Pretty plain talk; but young Watts took it sweetly and the two remained good friends for more then 30 years. Watts never married.
- Born 1674-1748 ---- 74 yr.
- At age 4 learned Latin
8 Learned Gk.
11 Learned French
13 Learned Hebrew
- Pastor of London’s Mark Lane Church
- KJV - 64 yr. earlier
- John Bunyan - 1684 Pilgrims Progress
- Jonathan Swift - Gullivers Travels (Clergyman & Politician)
- Voltaire - Infidel
- Sickly Man - Lord Mayor of London invaded him for a week stayed 36 years till his death
- Here on this estate hi composed over 600 hymns
“ Come We That Love The Lord”
“O God Our Help In Ages Past”
“When I survey the Wondrous Cross”
“Alas And Did My Savior Bleed”
“Joy To The World” - Music By
- George Frederick Handel - “The Messiah”
- Joy To The World from Ps 98
- Ps 98 The Voice
- Lk. 1:46-54 The Echo
Note the 7 notes - the perfect scale
7 - days make a perfect week
7 - colors make a perfect rainbow
Ps. 98 has 7 points to make a perfect outline
Note Of Wonder
JTW - last line “Wonder of His love”
v.1 - .....for he hath done marvelous things
1. Marvelous Creation - universe
2. Marvelous Birth - by the HS
3. Marvelous Life - healed all diseases
- Fed 1000’s
- Raised the dead
- Stilled the storm
4. Marvelous Gift - Died terribly for sins
5. Marvelous Resurrection - That all may live
6. Marvelous Promise - I will come again
7. Marvelous Rule - Peace without end
8. Marvelous Book - For successful living
9. Marvelous Transformation - Freedom from Sin
10. Marvelous Fullness - Power of the HS
Note Of Victory
- J.T.W. - last verse “He rules the world with truth”
- v.1 “his right hand and his holy arm, hath gotten him the victory”
- Right arm His son - Redeems
- Right Hand the HS quickens
Note of Mercy
- JTW- 2nd verse “Joy to the earth the savior reigns”
-v.2 “The Lord hath made known his salvation”
Note Of Faithfulness
- JTW _3rd v. “He comes to make His blessings known”
- v. 3 -”He hath remembered his mercy and his truth toward the house of Israel”
- He was faithful to Israel
- He is faithful to the church
- He is faithful to you
- 1 Thess. 5:24 Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.
- 2 Thess. 3:3 But the Lord is faithful, who shall stablish you, and keep you from evil.
Note Of Grace
- JTW- v.3 “No more let sin & sorrows grow”
- v.3 - all the ends of the earth have seen the salvation of our God.
- God goes to the ends of the earth to bring salvation
Note Of Praise
- JTW - v.1 “Joy to the world the Lord is come”
- v. 4-8 - Make a joyful noise
- Let all creation Praise
Note Of Hope
- JTW - Each lines starts with “Joy to the world”
- Psalm 98:9 ....; for he cometh to judge the earth: with righteousness shall he judge the world, and the people with equity.
- Freedom from bondage
- “Coming Again “
O sing unto the LORD a new song; for he hath done marvellous things: his right hand, and his holy arm, hath gotten him the victory.
2 The LORD hath made known his salvation: his righteousness hath he openly shewed in the sight of the heathen.
3 He hath remembered his mercy and his truth toward the house of Israel: all the ends of the earth have seen the salvation of our God.
4 Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all the earth: make a loud noise, and rejoice, and sing praise.
5 Sing unto the LORD with the harp; with the harp, and the voice of a psalm.
6 With trumpets and sound of cornet make a joyful noise before the LORD, the King.