Summary: Could be used for Christmas or Easter...
Just How Far Is It From Bethlehem To Calvary?
December 13, 2006
How far is it from Bethlehem to Calvary – Jennifer Mears 12/12/2006
Read Luke 2:1-7
Christmas is coming but soon it will be here then gone. Soon it is going to be all over...’ll be over,
· the presents opened,
· the Christmas pageants over,
· the decorations will come down
· Christmas 2006 will be but a memory.
16 weeks until we celebrate Easter.
· In a week or so, we will celebrate the birth of Christ
· in four months we will remember his death
· and his celebrate his resurrection….
So what are you thinking...how far? “How far is it from Bethlehem to Calvary?” How far from the warm, cozy little cradle to the dark, cold cross?
Bethlehem is closer to Calvary (Jerusalem) than you think…
· 6 miles West of Jerusalem
· A little over a 2 hour walk
it is not very far form Bethlehem to Calvary.
In just a few years Jesus went from
· Swaddling cloths: wrapped in
Crown of thorns on head
· From cute little dimples and stubby little baby fingers TO blood-stained cheeks...body to his nail-pierced hands
33 years of a journey from the cradle to the cross…
Jesus knew...Without calvary…Bethlehem was in vain
"In the fullness of time the deliverer came forth – God sent His son, born of a virgin and laid him in a manger…"
The deliverer of Good stood against evil…but the battle was already raging long before that...
· Adam fell and lost the battle in the garden
Satan turned this world into a war between good and evil! IT WAS ON!!! and he has been busy!...
Many wars and defining moments through history happened along this same road that Joseph and Mary traveled all those years ago…
Lots of history on this road
· Rachel (died giving birth to Jacob’s son Benjamin) was buried on this road to Bethlehem
· Naomi and Ruth traveled this road
· Ruth married Boaz along this road
· Joseph and Mary traveled this road from Nazareth to Bethlehem---passed through Jerusalem on their way to pay their taxes
· Jesus and David were born in Bethlehem (AKA: City of David)
· David ---KING DAVID was anointed king in Bethlehem
Micah 5:2 (NIV)
2 "But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah,
though you are small among the clans of Judah,
out of you will come for me
one who will be ruler over Israel,
whose origins are from of old,
from ancient times"
· David traveled this road on his way to The Valley of Elah (taking food to his 3 older brothers fighting in the Israelite army against the Philistines…then
· David walked this road up to fight Goliath – into head-to-head, hand-to-hand combat
· They encamped and fought in the Valley of Elah
o Hill country of Judah
o Toward lowlands
o Steep ravines
· About 15 miles West of Bethlehem
· About 6 miles South of Jerusalem
Summary of Story
· David was taking food to his older 3 brothers that were in the Israelite army
· Saul was pleased with David and was soothed by his harp playing (we learn in I Samuel 16.
· David asks to fight the giant and convinces Saul to let him go up against him.
· Saul suits up David in armor but he takes it off and drops his sword and says he will go in the NAME OF THE LORD
· David takes his slingshot (used against wolves while keeping his father’s sheep)
· David picks up 5 small stones by the brook on his way to meet Goliath
Let’s talk now about the enemy David was facing…
· 9’9” tall
· From town in Philistia called Gath
The Bible describes a race of giants named the Nephilim who were the offspring of mating between fallen angels (the Sons of God) and human women (the daughters of man). A possible explanation to the giant size of Goliath is that he was a direct descendant of these events and that he was one of the Nephilim offspring.
Let’s get a mental picture of the battle scene:
· Wearing a bronze helmet on his head
o Protection worn during battle
o Also – bronze helmet symbolizes salvation
THE LORD WAS ALREADY CRUSHING THE ENEMY’S HEAD
§ Armed with a coat of mail
o overlapping plates of bronze sewn on leather
o weighed about 125 lbs.
o Bronze armor on legs
§ The staff of his spear was like a weaver’s beam (very thick)
o Iron spearhead weighed approx 20 lbs.
o This spear was that of a long sword
o GOLIATH WAS A WAR MACHINE!
o BUT SO WAS DAVID>>HE HAD THE VICTORIOUS WARRIOR BACKING HIM…GOD ALMIGHTY!