Summary: We are taught to be like Christ.
LUKE 10:30-37 "JUST LIKE JESUS"
A) This is one of the most familiar parables that Jesus taught called "The Good Samaritan."
* The interpretation is evident! * Christ was trying to get across to a certain Jewish lawyer the
truth about neighborly kindness!
* His main teaching in this story is that the Samaritan was a neighbor to the dying man by the
road! * As far as I know, that’s all He meant to teach!
B) A parable normally has one central teaching!
* Sometimes we attempt to make it mean something far different than its basic lesson.
* This may be one of those times! * However, I do believe that this story has a most wonderful
symbolic application to man and his life in this world.
C) Therefore, I’d like to take it out of its context and use it as a figurative story,
* That has meaning much deeper than the physical experiences of the traveler from Jerusalem
to Jericho. * I think you will see in this man a figure of all men!
* The road he traveled is the same road traveled by you and me!
(1) A DOWNHILL ROAD - V.30! * This could have been any man! * Rich, poor, good, bad,
* Educated, ignorant, important, unimportant, black, white, any man - He’s a type of all men!
A) "Went down from ..." * Geographically the road that led from Jerusalem to ... was downhill.
* From an elevation of 2500 ft. in Jerusalem, the road ran down into the Jordan Valley where
Jericho was located. * The road of life, traveled by all men, is a downhill road!
* Men and rivers take the way of least resistance and that is always downgrade!
* It takes no energy to coast downhill! * Illus. Automobile out of gear on the side of a mountain!
* Freewheeling, it will gain speed all the way down! * A ball placed on an unleveled surface will
roll downwardly, faster and faster pulled by gravity to the lowest point!
C) So it is with man! It is as if I were placed at birth on the side of a hill.
* Down that slope I began to roll before I was conscious of what was happening.
* When I came to myself, I was well on my way and picking up momentum down the road of life.
* A twig cast into a stream is caught in the current and carried downstream all the way to the sea!
* It takes no effort to float! * Even so, men caught in the current of life are carried on to a destiny!
* This river of natural life empties itself finally in the lake of fire!
(2) JERUSALEM TO JERICHO! * The road in the story led from Jerusalem to Jericho.
* Jerusalem to the Jew was the city of God! * It was the heart of his religion!
* The center of his culture, the capitol of his country - It was the place where God dwelt!
A) In Jerusalem was the Temple, in the Temple was the Holy of Holies!
* In the Holy of Holies was the Shekinah glory, the symbol of the presence of God!
* When Daniel prayed in Babylon, he raised the window, looked toward Jerusalem and called
upon Jehovah! * To Daniel, God’s dwelling place in this world was in Jerusalem!
B) But this man wasn’t going to Jerusalem! * His back was turned toward the city of God!
* He was headed toward another city ... Jericho! * Jericho was a wicked city and very worldly!