Summary: Answers the question "What doth the Lord require of thee?"
Just what does God Expect anyway?
"And now, Israel, what doth the LORD thy God require of thee, but to fear the LORD thy God, to walk in all his ways, and to love him, and to serve the LORD thy God with all thy heart and with all thy soul, To keep the commandments of the LORD, and his statutes, which I command thee this day for thy good?" (Deu 10:12,13)
REFLECTION: Deuteronomy means “Second Law”. The previous generation perished in the wilderness wanderings of Numbers due to their faithlessness. The new Generation was about to enter Canaan and claim their inheritance. It is possible that many of them had misgivings about God how to please him. They were all eye-witnesses of the judgment of God on faithlessness. Faith must have some direction so Moses gave them the bottom line on pleasing God.
1. “Fear the LORD thy God.” This involves our ATTITUDE!
NOTE: Fear (yare or yaw-ray’) means to revere; literally to dread.
A. THIS IS THE BASIS OF WISDOM
1) Wisdom is all about perspective. Particularly understanding God’s perspective.
a) Fear of God is a healthy response to a clear picture of God. Heb. 10:29,31
(Psa 111:10) "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: "
B. THIS IS THE BASIS OF WORSHIP
1) Our attitude is a reflection of our perspective of God.
a) Powerful: “Fear the LORD…” (Yehovah) self-Existent Holy one. (Used 7836 times)
b) Personal: Thy God…” (Elohiym) supreme creator (Do you recognize Your God?)
2. “Walk in all His Ways…” This involves our ACTIONS!
A. FAITH WITHOUT WORKS IS DEAD. James 2:20,26
1) Impractical “What doth it profit?” James 2:16
1) Impossible. (If God’s Spirit is in you, He will eventually slip out!) (See 1 Jn 3:17)
2) Impersonal (Simply dead dogma without any personal application.)
B. SELECTIVE OBEDIENCE IS ACTUALLY DISOBEDIENCE. James 2:10
1) God’s commandments are not suggestions.
2) Who determines which are negotiable?
3. “To Love Him…” This involves our AFFECTION!
"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." (Deu 6:4,5)
“Master, which is the great commandment in the law? …Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment.” Mt. 22:36-38
A. ACTION AND AFFECTION ARE TWINS.
> "For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments:." (1 Jn 5:3)
> “He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him." (John 14:21)
B. LOVE TURNS LABOR INTO LIBERTY “His commandments are not grievous” 1 Jn 5:3
4. “To Serve Him…” This involves our ABILITIES!
A. GOD UNIQUELY DESIGNED US FOR HIS SERVICE.
(Rom 12:6) "Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, "