Summary: What do we need and what does God offer
Justice, Mercy & Grace
INTRO: Dad & Son A Father disciplines his son for lying tell him he is going to get 5 swats of the belt (That is Justice). takes him to bedroom & begins, 1 swat, 2 swat, 3 swat and stops. (That is Mercy) Then dad hugs his son tells him he loves him and takes him to get an ice cream. (That is Grace)
I. Justice v1 Trespass
A. LAW Begins with the Law (rules regulations, God’s standard of Holiness)
*10 Comandments. Where can you find them? Yellow pages a 5 yr old replied
1. Social order come by the law Ezr 7:25-26 And thou, Ezra, after the wisdom of thy God, that [is] in thine hand, set magistrates and judges, which may judge all the people that [are] beyond the river, all such as know the laws of thy God; and teach ye them that know [them] not. Ezr 7:26 And whosoever will not do the law of thy God, and the law of the king, let judgment be executed speedily upon him, whether [it be] unto death, or to banishment, or to confiscation of goods, or to imprisonment.
2. Obedience brings benefits + blessings
a. Law abiding citizens don’t go to jail, pay fines
b. Good citizens God blesses Peace, security
3. Governments responsible to control the flesh
a. Use Laws = letter authority, power, sword
1. “Letter killeth..”
4. Sin is against the Law of God 1Jo 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
5. The law isn’t for saving nor can it save
a. it can only condemn only reveal our guilt
b. We are sinner born to sin, the breaking of the law proves
that point, shows us the ugly truth of our unworthiness
Ro 3:19 Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God. Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law [is] the knowledge of sin.
B. Guilty: The justice of God is what you, I deserve
1. We are law breakers deserving hell Ro 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
1Co 6:9-10 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
1Jo 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
2. Sin’s tragedy, burden weight do you feel it?
a. No remorse, no regret no sorrow
1. That’s the problem *"How much does sin weigh? Eighty pounds? Ten pounds?" "Tell me, if I put a 400 pound weight on the chest of a dead man, would he feel it?" "No, because he is dead," Exactly! "And the man who feels no load of sin is dead spiritually."
3. Because we are dead we can’t come into the place of the
a. We are worthy separation from God for eternity
b. We deserve every bit of wrath that God can pour down
4. Not debatable: No off for Technicalities no appeals
C. Punishment is sure *Paul Harvey reported of a sign out in front of the Livermore CA Del valle pet Hospital. Parking reserved for clients only. All violator will be neutered
1. Justice demands consequences, punishment No mercy *Shoplifters will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law
Ro 6:23 For the wages of sin [is] death;
Ga 6:7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
Nu 32:23 ’.. behold, ye have sinned against the LORD: and be sure your sin will find you out. “
2. Purpose of punishment
a. Deterrent: stops or discourages more crimes (fear)
1. If not done quick enough ie.. Not much of a deterrent
Ec 8:11 Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.
b. Justice: Vengence - right Ge 9:6 Whoso sheddeth man’s blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.
1. Not vigilantism: only the Gov. has God’s authorization
a. Fair, impartial, just
4. Remember we each deserve to die
a. Every disease, wreck, so-called accident is a matter of
b. Justice is getting what we deserve
1. Every minute of time, each day we continue to live is a God sparing us, His mercy