Summary: This is a funeral service.
Ken Davis’s Funeral Service
Play I can Only Imagine just before I speak.
My relationship with Ken started when Ken and Wanda started coming to our church.
From the very beginning I could see Ken had a love for children. When a need arose in the children ministry he would help in some way from giving candy to scholarships to helping financially. There were other times when a substantial need in the church would arise and Ken and Wanda would help to overcome the obstacle that was before us.
One time we had a preschool in the church and Ken said that he had a security system that would benefit the school. So one day he brought it in and installed it through out all the rooms. It was truly a blessing.
Ken had a giving heart and was a generous man.
From talking with the family there were so many times he would be there for them in so many different ways.
1. Ken helped raise his brothers and sister when their father had gotten sick. This stated at the ripe old age of 17. And rumor has it that Ken and Dennis didn’t want their younger brother Joe to get hurt while learning to walk so every time Joe would stand up they would push him down.
2. Ken would pick up his daughter Sabrina from Ball State in his police car when she needed a ride.
3. Ken loved going camping and fishing and eating hobo dinners with his wife and children and being a Boy Scout leader to Kenn his son.
4. Ken also was a teacher. He taught Christina how to drive in the winter so he would not have to worry about her. The one thing he forgot was to teach his brother Dennis how to watch out for parked cars. (You will have to ask Dennis about that story).
5. Ken loved doing things together as a family. One day he decided to learn how to smoke cigarettes and thought he should do it as a family. So he gathered all his brothers and sisters and went in to a closet to smoke. Well they all came out of that closet and they all got sick together. (You know big brothers could always talk sisters into doing anything).
6. I don’t believe that there was a person that Ken could not become friends with.
7. Ken didn’t know the meaning of stepfather; he was just dad and papaw.
8. The one thing you could always count on from Ken that he would always be there for you when you need him.
9. Oh and by the way if you could have seen the love between Ken and Wanda when they looked into each other’s eyes those last days you would have known that Ken truly loved his wife Wanda with all his heart.
When Ken became a member of our church he made a decision that would impact and change his life forever. Ken committed his life to Jesus.
Ken and Wanda lives change form that day forward. They stated loving each other in a new way. Their relationship became closer because of the relationship they now shared with Jesus Christ their Lord and Savior.
When you fight the battle that Ken did sometimes you feel so all alone. I am not saying that his family hasn’t been there for him because they have been wonderful standing by his side. But there are times when nobody is around and your laying there and all of a sudden the comforter shows up. Your room gets filled up with the sweet presence of our Lord. And you know the Word of God is true when it says.
Prov 18:24 There are "friends" who destroy each other, but a real friend sticks closer than a brother.
Heb 13:5-6 Stay away from the love of money; be satisfied with what you have. For God has said, "I will never fail you. I will never forsake you." 6 That is why we can say with confidence, "The Lord is my helper, so I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?"
Ken was confident in where he was going to spend eternity. I have found that there is some people when they are in similar situations cry out to God because of fear. But that wasn’t the case with Ken. He was ready he fought a good fight in serving his country and his Savior.
2 Tim 4:6-7 As for me, my life has already been poured out as an offering to God. The time of my death is near. 7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful.
I want you to listen to this song and then I will close