Summary: Jesus calls us all to grow
Keys to Becoming a Great Christian
October 1, 2000
Average is said to be the best of the worst and the worst of the best
Christ gave us a call to live life beyond average and to be all that we were meant to be in Him
How do we rise above the average and excel in Christ?
Keys to Becoming a Great Christian
I. We need more persistence than average
Philippians 3:12-14 - 12 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13 Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
A. Forget the past
1. Your past cannot be changed
2. Your past can effect your future
3. You must find the strength to overcome your past
B. Focus on the future
1. The future is a gift from God
2. Our focus shifts from what we have to what we can do
C. Forge ahead
1. The call to move ahead is critical
2. Moving ahead in life takes determination
3. Give God 110% effort in life
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little “extra”
a.) Seek longer than average - Prayer
b.) Serve more than average - Ministry
c.) Study harder than average – Bible Reading
d.) Four types of people
1.) Cop outs – They set no goals and make no decisions
2.) Hold outs – They are uncertain if they can reach their goals, so they fail to start
3.) Drop outs – They start, but stop when the going gets tough
4.) All outs – They set goals, pay the price and reach their goals
D. Never give up
1. Persistence will always pay off with God
2. Press On
Nothing in the world
Can take the place of persistence.
Talent will not;
Nothing is more common
Than unsuccessful men
Genius will not;
Is almost a proverb.
Education will not;
The world is full of
Persistence and determination
Alone are important.
II. We need more power than average
Faith is not belief without proof but trust without reservation
A. Faith in God
1. John 14:1 - "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me.
2. Jesus call us to faith
a.) Trust in God the father, trust in Jesus, trust in the holy Spirit
b.) Faith in God brings power to our lives
B. Faith in others
1. People will live up to the expectations we have of them
a.) People will sink to every low expectation we have for them
b.) People have the same ability to rise to every higher expectation that we have for them
2. We empower others by the level of belief we have in them
C. Faith in ourselves
1. God can and will do a great work through you
2. God has prepared you to serve Him
a.) He has brought you into his Kingdom
b.) He has empowered you with His Spirit
c.) He has equipped you with Spiritual gifts
3. Philippians 2:13 – For it is God at work in you, enabling you both to will and to work for his good purpose.
III. We need more passion than average
John 13:34-35 - "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."
A. The need for love
1. We live in a hurting world
2. Love is powerful
a.) People don’t need more of the mushy warm and fuzzy Hollywood type of love – There are tons of sources for that!
b.) People need real love that flows out the solid compassion and commitment that we find in Christ
B. How do we cultivate love?
1. Look at yourself
2. Speak in tones of love, not law
3. Be a good listener
4. Use disappointments as opportunities to show God’s love
5. Search for ways to show love to people
6. Pray for god to fill you with His love
Commitment is the key. Until I am committed, there is a hesitancy, a chance to draw back. But the moment I definitely commit myself, then God moves also, and a whole stream of events errupt. All manner of unforseen incidents, meetings, persons and material assistence which I could never have dreamed would come my way begin to flow toward me - the moment I make a commitment.