Summary: These three nations are a picture of our old, fleshly natures. • Moab represents the power of the flesh. • Ammon represents the passion of the flesh. • Amalek represents the persistence of the flesh.
Pastor Allan Kircher
18 Aug 2013
Shell Point Baptist Church
HOW LEFTY KILLED HEFTY
• 400 years covered/book/Judges
• Nation/Israel followed/predictable pattern.
• Serve God faithfully while/strong leadership of their judges.
• Judge died/they had no leader/they would desert God
• began to live in disobedience to His Law
• Giving themselves/worship/pagan gods/Canaanites.
Exactly the pattern we see/work in the verses before us today.
Israel sinned against God and/Lord caused Eglon, the king of Moab, to become strong.
• Eglon invaded Israel/help/Ammonites/Amalekites
• Together they oppressed Israel for 18 years.
• When they repented
• God raised/man/Ehud/their deliverer.
Ehud assassinated Eglon and led Israel to victory and freedom.
• This story has much to teach us, if we will allow it to.
• Like Israel, we often follow the same pattern of disobedience, chastisement and restoration.
• Our problem is not Moabites/Ammonites/Amalekites.
• Our problem is the flesh.
Text unfolds, see Israel’s enemies clear type our own enemy.
• Eglon is the perfect picture of the flesh.
• He is out of control/self-indulgent/fat/lazy/evil.
• He is full of pride/He is also assassinated by Ehud.
In Israel’s defeat of Eglon, I see a picture/battle we are supposed to be fighting every day.
• Every one of us has problems with our flesh.
• we win/we lose our battles/flesh
• We don’t fight against/desires/flesh at all.
Literally/fight for our very spiritual lives every day.
• Fight we must win, every time we enter the arena.
I want to preach/Ehud/Israel/their battle with Eglon.
They won their battle those who oppressed them/you can too.
I want to preach on How Lefty Killed Hefty.
I. v. 12-14 ISRAEL’S DILEMMA
Verses describe/horrible oppression Israel suffered because of her rebellion against/Lord.
Their problems stand/warning/all those who walk away from God
A. v. 12-13a Their Foes
Israel faced three nations because of their rebellion against God.
• They faced/Moabites/Ammonites/Amalekites.
• All three/continual problems for Israel
• All three were connected to Israel by blood.
• Amalekites were descended/Esau, Jacob’s twin brother.
• Moabites/Ammonite/descendants of Lot/Abraham’s nephew.
Lot/daughters were delivered/Sodom/Gomorrah
Lot’s daughter got him drunk, had sexual intercourse with their father/conceived Moab and Ammon/descended these two nations.
All three of these nations worshipped false gods.
• Moabites god--Chemosh Ammonites--Moloch.
Both/gods worshipped vile/sexual practices/child sacrifice.
• Amalekites nomadic, warlike people variety of pagan gods.
All three were a continual thorn in the side of Israel.
• constantly attacking, hindering
• Seeking to enslave the people of Israel.
These three nations are a picture of our old, fleshly natures.
• Moab represents the power of the flesh.
• Ammon represents the passion of the flesh.
• Amalek represents the persistence of the flesh.
Just like Israel was repeatedly attacked by these nations, the believer is continually attacked by the flesh.
• Our flesh has its own desires.
• Doesn’t like the way of holiness/way of righteousness.
• flesh likes the way of evil/the way of Satan, Eph. 2:1-3
The flesh that you and I carry around will do everything in its power to enslave us and prevent us from reaching our fullest potential in Jesus Christ.
• Don’t be deceived
• Your flesh hates God/everything God stands for.
• Your flesh will never submit to the Word of God.
• It must be forced into submission by a strong show of force.
• Rom 7:18 I know nothing good lives in me…
Three nations joined forces/came against Israel.
• We are told that they “attacked Israel”.
• pagan armies did not come by for a friendly picnic
The battle we wake up to every day is just as serious!
• We are/fight for our very spiritual lives every day we live
• Paul describes this battle for us in Gal. 5:16-18.
• We all have different areas in which we fight
• You are involved in warfare every day you live.
• You win the battles; you lose the battles.
• The choice is yours!
• Who you yield to is who you are a slave too. Rom. 6:16
• We are in a war!
Just when you think:
• you have achieved victory/area/your life
• that problem with that sin is settled forever
Here comes the flesh.
• It will do everything in its power to undermine your victories
• Take back any ground you have won.
• The flesh is relentless.
• We let our guard down, and when we do, we lose the battle.
• To pray. To read the Word.
• To avoid exposure/things that tempt us.
• To take a stand against the flesh.
When the flesh rises up, we must put it back in its place.
• Beat it/punch it/assault it/deny it
• Make it toe the line for the glory of God!