Summary: 1 John 5 tells us we can know we have eternal life this sermon delves into how we can know we have eternal life.
Assurance of Salvation
INTRO: Many times you may ask someone if they know that they will go to heaven. To that question you may receive varying responses. Such as I hope so, our I think I have been good enough or no one can really know if they have eternal life and will go to heaven. As believers one can know they have eternal life and will go to heaven, this truth is found in 1 John 5.
CORE: As a believer in Jesus Christ you need to be able to have that assurance and show others that they too can know how to have that type of assurance of salvation. You need to be able to take them to the passage and clearly show them God says they can know they have eternal life. That is what I am showing you today.
I. In verse 13 of 1st John 5, the Apostle John says “These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.”
A. John says he wrote these things so that we may know we have eternal life, so what did he write?
1. First the whole book of 1st John
2. For the sake of time our main focus is from the beginning verses in chapter 5.
3. We must understand this was written as a letter with no chapters and verses.
4. So John wrote a letter and men went in and divided it into chapters and verses.
B. Let’s center in on Chapter 5.
1. Verse 1 states if we believe that Jesus is the Christ born of God
2. If we love Him (God The Father) that begat
3. We Love Him who was begotten (Jesus)
4. Therefore if we Love God the Father we Love God the Son and according to verse 13 this is proof that we have eternal life.
C. If we love the Father and the Son then we love the Children of God.
1. We love the Children of God when we keep God’s commandments.
2. In John 5 verse 12 and 17 Christ said this is my commandment that ye Love on another.
3. 1 John 3:23 tells us God’s commandment for us today.
4. “And this is his commandment that we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.”
D. Isn’t that a great commandment to keep?
1. Believe on Christ first and foremost
2. Then Love one another.
3. That is God’s commandment for us.
4. Then verse 2 says keep His commandments this would be what John was referring too. The new Commandment from Christ in John 5 “LOVE ONE ANOTHER” and that of 1 John 3:23 “we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ”
II. God’s commandments are not grievous.
A. Verse 3 tells us God’s Love is that we keep His commandments
1. His commandments aren’t grievous
2. How can Believing on Christ
3. And how can loving one another be Grievous?
4. They can’t can they?
B. Then we see John state that we overcome the world if we are born of God.
1. The new birth
2. Comes by believing on Jesus Christ
3. We overcome the world
4. By our Faith in Christ. Verse 4 tells us.
C. Who overcomes the world verse 5 ask.
1. He that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God.
2. When John states in Verse 13 that what He wrote gives one assurance of eternal life this is what he was talking about.
3. Eternal life comes through believing on the name of the Son of God.
4. That is Jesus.
D. This is He that came by water and blood.
1. He came by being born physically.
2. Water and the blood.
3. The Spirit beareth witness to the fact.
4. Because the Spirit is truth. Verse 6 makes this very clear.
III. Three bear witness in heaven AND IN Earth.
A. The Father bears witness
1. The one who begat bears witness
2. Of the one begotten.
B. The Word bears witness
1. God the Son bears witness
2. of Himself
C. The Spirit bears witness
1. He reveals that the Son
2. Jesus came in the flesh
D. There are Three that bear witness in earth
1. The Holy Spirit He bears this witness in the written word that word is the truth.
2. The water
3. The blood
4. These three agree in one.
IV. God’s witness is greater than man’s. Verse 9.
A. If we receive man’s witness
1. God’s witness is greater.