Summary: Caldwell & Jorgeson free climbed El Capitan’s Dawn Wall. How were they able to do this impossible climb? Knowing that they were fastened to the rock. Our only security in life is staying fastened to Jesus
- El Capitan’s Dawn Wall Yosemite National Park Cal.
- 3,000 ft. vertical face climbed in 19 days
- Many considered the most difficult rock climb in the world.
- Dec. 27/14-Jan.14/15
-Tommy Caldwell and Kevin Jorgeson
- Few, if any, thought the Dawn Wall could be free-climbed
- Using just hands & feet — not ropes and equipment
- They were up against falling ice, looming storms, raging ice wind, razor sharp holds, and numb toes
- One section required a jump to another hand hold
- Jorgeson needed seven days and 10 attempts to navigate a horizontal traverse
- Ropes were used for safety purpose only
- Caldwell said. “These days it seems like everything is padded and comes with warning labels
- How were they able to do the impossible climb?
- Knowing that they were fastened to the rock
A Christ Centered Confidence.
- Philippi sometimes called little Rome
- Saturated with idolatry
- Acts 16 – Paul was casted down when he was illegally arrested, beaten & placed in stocks
- His joy in remembering Lydia
- Remembering the demon-possessed slave girl
- v. 3-5 Tiny church established
- Staying faithful to Christ
- v.6 - It was the reality of Christ hold on our life
Psalm 37:24 (AV)
24 Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the LORD upholdeth him with his hand
Misplaced Trust Leads To Devastation
- A dessert mirage is only illusion
- Water with you is promise
- You can't trust your own abilities, possessions & positions
- All are false securities
- Living in denial is sin & death
Luke 12:15–21 (AV)
15 And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness: for a man’s life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.
16 And he spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully:
17 And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits?
18 And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods.
19 And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry.
20 But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?
21 So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.
- Our only security is Jesus
- Knowledge of your security expands your joy
- Life's climb can be difficult
- The journey with Christ is exhilarating
Confidence In God’s Presence Makes His People Bold
Joshua 1:5–9 (AV)
5 There shall not any man be able to stand before thee all the days of thy life: as I was with Moses, so I will be with thee: I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.
6 Be strong and of a good courage: for unto this people shalt thou divide for an inheritance the land, which I sware unto their fathers to give them.
7 Only be thou strong and very courageous, that thou mayest observe to do according to all the law, which Moses my servant commanded thee: turn not from it to the right hand or to the left, that thou mayest prosper whithersoever thou goest.
8 This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.
9 Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the LORD thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.
Confidence In God’s Protection Removes Fear
Psalm 46:1–2 (AV)
1 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
2 Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;
Confidence In God Enables Believers To Endure Difficulties
Habakkuk 3:17–19 (AV)
17 Although the fig tree shall not blossom, neither shall fruit be in the vines; the labour of the olive shall fail, and the fields shall yield no meat; the flock shall be cut off from the fold, and there shall be no herd in the stalls:
18 Yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will joy in the God of my salvation.
19 The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds’ feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places. To the chief singer on my stringed instruments.