Summary: A message about living a life that is pleasing to God.
July 9, 2006
Knowing God’s Pleasure
All three of my sons have played sports over the years and one of the things I enjoyed most about the experience was the way that whenever one of them scored a goal, they would immediately turn and look to where I was standing to see if I was watching.
Have you ever worked in a place where those who are in charge never speak to you unless it is to bring criticism? Of coarse there are times when rebuke is necessary but most of us respond better to positive motivation.
We want to please those who have authority over us.
- At work we want our employer to appreciate us.
- We want parents and grandparents to be proud of us.
- We want our teachers to approve of our progress.
- We want to know God is pleased with us.
Let them praise his name with dancing and make music to him with tambourine and harp.
For the LORD takes delight in his people; he crowns the humble with salvation.
Let the saints rejoice in this honor and sing for joy on their beds.
I’m not talking about earning God’s love, we have that without condition.
We’re not earning points, God’s not gonna “getcha” if you don’t do what he wants, I’m talking about building a passion into your faith by being willing and obedient.
There are a lot of strange ideas around the Church about what brings God pleasure.
- Some think dressing a certain way, keeping a certain hairstyle, and not wearing jewelry or having tattoos is the thing. Cleaning the outside of the cup.
- Some go with self-deprivation, the more miserable they are the better they think they are doing, no fun, no money, no abundant living.
- Some play the self-righteous game; they avoid all evil places, people, and things. They won’t go to the theatre so they have to wait and rent it on DVD.
So often we have no idea what someone else will appreciate. It’s like watching guys in Speedos at the beach, thinking the women like what they like. No clue!
Show the clip from:”Chariots of Fire”.
God takes pleasure in his creation in Genesis. Today we are going to look at what the bible says will bring God pleasure.
It brings God pleasure when we:
1. Run after Him.
This is what the LORD says:
"Let not the wise man boast of his wisdom or the strong man boast of his strength or the rich man boast of his riches, but let him who boasts boast about this: that he understands and knows me, that I am the LORD, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight," declares the LORD.
The closer a relationship is the harder it is to get away with lies. Once you have been married a few years you will stop trying if you are smart. As soon as I come in the house Kathy looks at me and says, “What have you been up to?”
Look what the scripture says:
- Understands me
- Knows me
- Gets my kindness, justice, and righteousness.
Take David as an example, here is what God said:
After removing Saul, he made David their king. He testified concerning him: ’I have found David son of Jesse a man after my own heart.