Summary: Do you want to know your personal responsibility as a believer so that you won’t die from spiritual cancer?
Knowing Your Responsibilities
Proposition: Because Christ is your Master, you must faithfully fulfill your responsibilities to Him.
I. Contend for the faith! v. 3
A. It requires knowing the common salvation.
Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation,
1. Jude was interested in the spiritual lives of others.
2. Jude was actively involved in the spiritual lives of others.
B. It requires contending for doctrinal truth.
…it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints …
1. Believers have been entrusted with “the faith…”
2. Believers have been exhorted to stand for the purity of “the faith”.
3. Believers have been exhorted to “battle for the truth”.
4. Believers have been given the completed truth.
C. It requires passing on the faith.
which was once delivered unto the saints.
1. You must be willing to hand down “the faith”.
2. You must be handing down “the faith”.
II. Beware of false teachers! v. 4
A. False teachers are present today.
For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation,
1. They are secretly slipping into the church.
2. They are warned against in the Scriptures.
B. False teachers are ungodly people.
1. They have a form of “godliness”.
2. They will be judged for their “godlessness”.
C. False teachers pervert the grace of God.
turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.
1. They are guilty of “practical denial” of the faith.
2. They are guilty of “theological denial” of the faith.