Summary: Experience a faith that looks beyond itself.
Love with Intensity
Series, “Being Spiritual without being Religious” – Part 9
Pastor Jeff Christopherson
November 14, 2004
Start with Authenticity…
Preserve my Personality…
Investigate the Ground Zero of Faith…
Recognize my Net Worth…
Undergo Nonjudgmental Therapy…
Assess my Contentment…
Love with Intensity…
Experience a faith that looks beyond itself.
the priority of love…
“One of the religion scholars spoke for them, posing a question they hoped would show him up: “Teacher, which command in God’s Law is the most important?” Jesus said, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your passion and prayer and intelligence.’ This is the most important, the first on any list. But there is a second to set alongside it: ‘Love others as well as you love yourself.’ These two commands are pegs; everything in God’s Law and the Prophets hangs from them.”” Matthew 22:36-40 (Message)
the equations of love…
1. Conspicuous Spirituality minus Love = ZIP
If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. vs.1
spiritual gifts employed with grace = God’s Power
Love is patient,
love is kind.
It does not envy… vs. 4a
2. Limitless Knowledge minus Love = ZERO
If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge… vs. 2a
• Truth – Love = Legalistic Religion
• Love – Truth = Pseudo-Spirituality
• Truth + Love = Spiritual Authority
biblical insights delivered with humility = God’s Authority
it does not boast, it is not proud.
It is not rude… vs. 4b-5a
3. Extreme Faith minus Love = NIL
…and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. vs. 2b
selfless faith focused upward (not inward) = God’s Agenda
it is not self-seeking,
it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. vs. 5b-6
4. Total Generosity minus Love = NADA
If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. vs. 3
grace gifts given in love = God’s Presence.
It always protects,
Love never fails. vs.7-8a
Scripture passages from the New International Version unless otherwise noted.
Digging Deeper @ Home Church: unselfish love
1. Are you ready to be brave? Sing a line of one of your favorite love songs when you were growing up.
2. Worship together
3. Open your Bibles to 1 Corinthians 13.
• Given the Corinthian believer’s quest for spiritual experiences, what was Paul’s point in verses 1-3?
• Why is it so easy to substitute ‘spiritual activity’ for ‘love’?
• Which of the 4 equations for love (that we talked about on Sunday) do you often find yourself slipping into most often?
• What is at the heart of those slips?
4. Review our budget together. Ask questions. Pray together.
2004, Jeff Christopherson, The Sanctuary