Summary: The Hebrews were required to choose and care for a lamb for the Passover sacrifice. God displayed his Lamb at what we refer to as the "Triumphal Entry into Jerusalem."
1. Don’t you love a good parade?
One day in 1943 thousands of soldiers were preparing to leave for Europe. The Army, the Navy, and the Marines were preparing to load on the ships. The General decided to have a huge parade through New York City to seek prayer and honor for the men. Many of these brave men would never return home.
A little old lady was sweeping off her sidewalk, and she heard the commotion of the crowd. She looked up to hear the cadence of the soldiers.
She stood at attention and watched as the men marched by her.
She cried and put her shoulders back as she saw the red, white, and blue flag go by.
After a few minutes the old lady put her broom stick on her shoulder and started marching alongside of the troops.
Someone yelled out of the crowd: OLD LADY! OLD LADY GET OUT OF THE WAY! WHAT CAN YOU DO OLD LADY?
The old lady yelled back with pride: I CAN SHOW ON WHOSE SIDE I AM! She kept on marching!
2. As Jesus shows his allegiance, he finds himself in the midst of a parade of sorts. He was among the 3 MILLION in Jerusalem that day. (Josephus)
3. Matthew 21.1-9 -- Read
Spring time/difficult to calculate by our calendars lunar months vs. Solar/We USED to start our year in the Spring – April 1 and then changed to January 1; those who refused to switch were called, “April Fools.”
b. On the 10th Day of the First Month, Jews were to select their lambs for Passover
3 Tell all the congregation of Israel that on the tenth day of this month they shall take every man a lamb according to their fathers’ houses, a lamb for a household;\\// 6 and you shall keep it until the fourteenth day of this month, when the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill their lambs in the evening. Exodus 12.3, 6
c. The family selected the lamb and took care of it for the 5 days leading up to its sacrifice – imagine how hard it would be for children (and adults) to care for this animal, treat it like a pet and then watch it die and then eat it. Sin is serious; and Costly
4. On the Christian Calendar, we refer to today as “Palm Sunday and remember what we call, “Jesus’ Triumphal Entry” into Jerusalem. This was actually “Lamb Selection Day” and God was presenting his lamb to the people and they misunderstood.
I. The Passover Feast of the Jews [LAMB
A. Symbolized their deliverance from Egypt – blood of the lamb saved the firstborn
B. Involved a Special Lamb:
1. One Year Old Male
2. No Blemishes
3. In Jesus’ day the custom developed of taking the lambs from the flocks of Bethlehem
a. To honor King David
b. To financially support the Sadducees who owned the flocks
4. There was to be no leftovers – share with neighbors/burn whatever is left the next day
II. Jesus’ Entrance into Jerusalem [Ppt. Jesus on Donkey
A. He comes the right way
1. From Bethany – The Messiah was to come from the wilderness – Isaiah 40