Summary: GOD IS!
LARGE AND IN CHARGE
SUNDAY FEBRUARY 24, 2002
INTRODUCTION: Here’s a list of all variations of the "God Speaks" billboards that appeared in the Metropolitan Dallas-Fort Worth area. The billboards are a simple black background with white text. No fine print or sponsoring organization is included. The sponsorship for these “God Speaks” billboards is anonymous.
“Let’s meet at my house Sunday before the game.” - God
“C’mon over and bring the kids.” - God
“What part of "Thou Shalt Not...didn’t you understand?” - God
“We need to talk.” - God
“Keep using my name in vain, I’ll make rush hour longer.” - God
“Loved the wedding, invite me to the marriage.” - God
“That `Love Thy Neighbor‘ thing... I meant it.” - God
“I love you and you and you and you and... “ - God
“Will the road you’re on get you to my place?” - God
“Follow me.” -God
“Big bang theory, you’ve got to be kidding.” - God
“My way is the highway.” - God
“Need directions?” - God
“You think it’s hot here?” - God
“Have you read my #1 best seller? There will be a test.” - God
“Do you have any idea where you’re going?” - God
And now here is one “God Speaks” that we might apply to ourselves in our daily life: "Don’t make me come down there.” - God
A young woman brought her fiancee to meet her parents.
After dinner, her father asked the young man into his study for a chat.
"So, what are your plans?" he began.
"I’m a theology scholar," the young man replied.
"Admirable!" the father said, "But what will you do to provide a nice home for my daughter?"
"I will study and God will provide," he explained.
"And how will you afford to raise children?"
"God will provide."
The men left the study and the mother asked her husband, "How did it go?"
"He has no money or employment plans," the father said.
"But on the other hand, he thinks I’m God."
TRANSITION THOUGHT: As we enter into the Lenten Season we are called to remember our devotion for our Lord as we remember His devotion to us. Moses, in our text for today, models reluctant obedience. It is obedience, nonetheless. We have all heard the story of the burning bush. It is a great story to tell kids, but what significance does it have for us adults. Our text bears out the reality of the supremacy of our God. Our text is not a reflection of who Moses is, but is focused on who God is. OUR GOD IS LARGE AND IN CHARGE!
THESIS SENTENCE: GOD IS!
SO JUST WHAT DOES IT LOOK LIKE TO BE LARGE AND IN CHARGE?
I. LARGE AND IN CHARGE IS KNOWING HOW TO MAKE AN APPEARANCE (VV. 1-6)!
A. Our God appears in the Fire!
1. The burning bush!
2. The burning bush that is not consumed!
3. Whatever this is, I must go and see it!
B. Our God appears in Holiness!
1. Don’t get to close!
2. Take off your shoes!
3. You are standing on Holy Ground!
4. Wherever you meet God, it is a Holy place!
5. We must all meet God on Holy Ground! Have you meet Him there yet?!?
C. Our God appears Personally!
1. Our God calls us by NAME (v. 4)!
2. “I am the God of YOUR father (v. 6).”
3. “I am the God of your ancestors!
4. We are intimately related, I know you and your family!
II. LARGE AND IN CHARGE IS THE POWER TO INTERVENE (VV.7-9)!
A. Intervention is based on the senses working (vv. 7 & 9):
1. Sight: I have seen the misery!
2. Sound: I have heard them crying!
3. Concern: I am concerned about their suffering!
4. Did you know that He is paying attention?!?
B. Intervention is focused on Rescue
1. “Don’t make me come down there – God”
2. God is not watching us from a distance as Bette Middler sang He is here with us!
C. Intervention is realized in the Promise
1. Rescue is not just about getting us out of a bad situation; it is about a promised future.
2. God’s future for His people is a Blessed Land (v. 8)!
III. LARGE AND IN CHARGE IS THE AUTHORITY TO SEND (VV. 10-12)!
A. SENDING WITH AUTHORITY MEANS GOING!
1. “SO NOW, GO!”
2. “I AM SENDING YOU!”
3. GOD HAS A PLAN AND IT INCLUDES US!
B. SENDING WITH AUTHORITY MEANS NOT GOING ALONE!
1. “WHO AM I?”
2. “I WILL BE WITH YOU!”
3. Moses had a big concern, wouldn’t you? How on earth am I going to accomplish this? I work with sheep for heaven’s sake!
4. When we work with God and for God, we have the promise of Joshua 1: 5-6 & 9, “No one will be able to stand up against you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you. Be strong and courageous…Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord Your God will be with you wherever you go.”