Summary: Give stragetically and tactically so that your gifts will be multiplied by the many ministries of Christ’s church around the world in fields that are ripe for the harvest. How to Lay Up for Yourself Treasures in Heaven Matt 6:19
How to Lay Up Treasures for Yourself in Heaven - Matt 6:19,20
Ritual Requirements Mary and Joseph Fulfilled at the Temple.
First, there was circumcision, which is the mark of the covenant God made with Abraham. It is then that a male child receives his name and his
Second was the dedication of the first born through the sacrifice of two pigeons or two doves. This ritual recognized that the first fruits of all creation belong to God.
Example: Paul wrote, "For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity." (rom. 11:35,36)
1. View Giving to God as a Positive Way of Investing in Something that will last for eternity instead of a sacrifice. Know that God is able to multiply your investment far more effectively than the smartest broker on Wall Street.
2. Know that investing in eternal kingdom ministries allows your treasure to grow both in this life and the next.
Illustration: Mr. Baker, a wealthy Baptist philanthropist gave away millions of dollars for kingdom ministries. During the depression he lost all of his wealth. When one critical reporter asked him if he regretted giving money to one Christian college he said,"Whatever I gave away to God I still possess for eternity." That is the way giving to the Lord works, we give but we never lose - we only gain.
3. How you handle your money is an indication of where your treasure really is hidden. If you want to develop a closer trust in the Lord you cannot do it unless you are willing to give to God and His kingdom priority ministries.
4. Remember that everything you have comes from God. He is only allowing you to be a steward of what already belongs to Him.
5. Remember that the Lord is your Shepherd so you will not have want of any good thing. (Psa 23:1)Your cup will overflow with sufficiency for everything. (2 Cor. 12:9,10)
6. Never forget that God is the source of everything. All of our wealth is a gift from Him. Every good and perfect gift is from above. (James 1:16-21)
7. Greed is a self-destructive attitude and behavior. People who think they can hoard things will be disappointed as the moths, rust and thieves of this world will eventually take them away leaving us disappointed for eternity.
8. We are not only to give God our money but also our talents, our time and all of our resources. Matt 6:27
9. Use money and possession as resources for the Lord and His purposes. Otherwise they will own you.
10. Believe that God will provide whatever is needed in His good time and way. (matt. 6:25-34) Seek first His king and His righteousness and all the necessary things of life will be provided by you. Do not fall into the secular trap of being like the worldly people.
11. Learn to be content with what you have instead of comparing yourself with others.
12. Look more at what you have than at what you wish you had.
13. Give out of a cheerful heart knowing that whatever you spend Jesus will repay in much greater ways. John 6 is a fine example of how Jesus multiplied the 2 fish and the 5 loaves of the little boy to supply food for 5000 hungry people. Allow the Lord to use your life to bless millions in ways that are beyond human imagination.
14. Let your giving be seen as a multiplying the seed for sowing the gospel in the qualitative and quantitative growth of Christ’s kingdom around the world. (matt 28:18-20) You may not be able to go around the world, but you can strategically give to the church planters and evangelists around the world through missionaries.
15. Blessings await those who give. (2 Cor. 9:6,10) Matt 19:21. The richest people in heaven are those who gave away the biggest proportion of their wealth on earth like the widow and her two mites. Jesus said , "She gave more than all the rest." Jesus said, "If you have been faithful in the little things you will be made responsible for much." (Lk 16:10-12)
16. Give to serve others in ways that will equip the church for the work of ministry for the building up of the body of Christ. (Eph. 4:11-16) Give stragetically and tactically so that your gifts will be multiplied by the many ministries of Christ’s church around the world in fields that are ripe for the harvest. (matt 9:36-38)
Quote: The best things in life are the gifts we give away. Jesus said, "It is more blessed to give than to receive."