Summary: God often compares us to the best of His creation to teach us principles for a victorious life.
"Go to the ant, o sluggard, observe her ways and be wise, which, having no chief, officer or ruler, prepares her food in the summer, and gather’s her provision in the harvest.
How long will you lie down, o sluggard?
When will you arise from your sleep?
A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest. And your poverty will come in like a vagabond".
God says He doesn’t want us to be sluggards. But to watch the ant, One of the smallest creatures that He has created and learn from it.
There is much we can learn just from watching God’s creation.
The English word for sluggard comes from the word slug, which is a slimy creature that is found in places that are high in humidity.
There are wormlike and may sometimes have a shell attached to its back or no shell at all.
1. When a person is called a slug it’s usually because he likes easy money, the easy lifestyle, lazy, taking advantage of the misfortune of others.
2. Slugs retreat into their shells or under a rock when danger comes.
- They have no backbone.
- They are scared little slimy creatures. "God has not given us a spirit of fear but of power of love and of a sound mind".
3. They are slimy.
- When this is said about a person its because they are not trustworthy.
- They lie, cheat and manipulate every situation to come out on top. They don’t like loosing.
4. Slugs move by crawling, swimming, or floating with currents (they go with the flow)
- It moves about 23 inches an hour.
- Wherever the snail goes it leaves a trail of slime.
5. They eat living and decaying plants.
- We are to eat the word of God, which is alive and nourishes our spiritual bodies.
* Heb. 4:12 says: "For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword".
6. Slugs are nocturnal animals which means they are more active at night
- Like Slugs sluggards like to sleep while others are working.
- Sluggards expect everyone else to do their work (verse 9 says; how long will you sleep oh sluggard? When will you arise out of your sleep?)
- Their attitude is; "A little sleep, a little dozing off, a little folding of the hands, to sleep"(which is a well known posture for a person ready to go to sleep)
- Their attitude is another five minutes, a beauty rest, a short nap.
- While he is sleeping poverty is coming upon him like a prowler.
7. Sluggards are always dreaming of wealth but often end up poor because they rather sleep and take it easy instead of working.
* Proverbs 13:4 says that; ¡§the soul of the sluggard desires and has nothing¡¨
* Hebrews 6:12 tells us; ¡§ not to be slothful or lazy, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises¡¨
8. The sluggard is also good at excuses;
* Prov. 20:4 says "He will not plow because its cold".
* Prov.26:13 He says; "I cant go to work, there is a lion in the streets, He puts his hand on his belly and is to tired to bring it to his mouth again" .
- No one wants to hire me, My leg hurts, my back hurts, I got a headache, so many excuses.
The Ant; Ants are members of the family of social insects meaning that they live in organized colonies.